Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Black spots on the head of the penis

black spots on the bottom of the head of my penis, and do not appear to be bumps (more like a stain)

If I may ask what is your natural skin color?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am caucasian.

Thank you for the information. Would it be possible to take a photograph of these spots at your convenience? If not do let me know and I'll try and find you some pictures to look at to compare to your condition.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I can do this, let me know your email address and I can take a picture later today. Thanks
Okay great, the fastest way to get a picture to me is to upload it to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required. You can also upload them to any free photo hosting site like picasa or photobucket and send me the link if you prefer.

View Full Image

Or you can email the photographs to [email protected] with my name (For Dr Nair dermatology expert) in the subject line but they usually take a few hours to forward these to me. If you choose this option please make sure you ask for an acknowledgment from JustAnswer that they have received your mail, and let me know that you have sent it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the photograph. Dark spots on the penis can be because of Genital Lentigines, Penile Melanosis, Moles or Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH). Of these your spots are most suggestive of PIH which is a condition characterized by dark spots which follow some sort of penile irritation. The irritation may have been so mild that you did not notice it.
Penile Melanosis would be the other possibility and both of these are harmless conditions. For now I would just recommend observing them to see if they increase in size. You can take 6 weekly tracing on a transparency to record their size. If you notice any increase then you should show this to a doctor in person. But I doubt this will be required. PIH can fade with time while penile melanosis usually persists unchanged.
Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.