dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

My eye feels like there is an eyelash or piece of grit irritating

My eye feels like there is an eyelash or piece of grit irritating it. I've tried using drops but the problem continues. What else can I do to help alleviate the irritation?

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

Of course it would be impossible for me to look into your eyes to see if there is an eyelash or grit. However, many patients who complain of this problem have either dries from a number of causes. I would recommend Refresh Optive eye drops by Allergan.

dermdoc19 :

You may have Sjogren

dermdoc19 :

Sjogren's Syndrome which is marked by dry eyes.

Customer:

What is Sjogren's Syndrome?

dermdoc19 :

Refresh Optive may float any particles out of your eye if there is any.

Customer:

Is Refresh Celluvisc ok to use?

dermdoc19 :

Sjogren's is fairly common. It occurs in middle aged women and is marked by dry eyes and mouth. It is felt to be auto-immune which means patients produce antibodies to the cells making tears. Most cases are limited to just the eyes.

dermdoc19 :

That would be fine too. I recommended the other since that is one of the things we recommend for dry eyes in our office ( usually for Accutane).

dermdoc19 :

No history of eye problems before?

Customer:

ok good. I had my left eye removed in 2009 as a long range side effect of sinus cancer in 2000. This irritation of my remaining eye is a little frightening to me. I am a computer analyst, so it is possible that I have dryness due to long term use of my eye at work.

dermdoc19 :

Actually that is one of the leading causes of dry eyes...constant computer use. I just read that this afternoon! Getting old too.

dermdoc19 :

If you only have one eye, I would recommend the drops any of the Refresh brands but I would see a physician Monday for an evaluation. No pain just dryness, correct?

Customer:

It feels like I have an eyelash or grit in my eye. It is irritating/annoying/not sure about painful. If I look to the left, the irritation is minimized. If I look straight ahead it is irritating and annoying. It is still there but subjectively feels better since I put in the Celluvisc about an hour ago.

dermdoc19 :

This may also be a corneal abrasion. It is rather easy to check out. I would recommend seeing going to a walk in clinic tomorrow.

Customer:

I definitely will do that. We have Walgreen's walk in clinics out here in the suburbs of Chicago.

dermdoc19 :

The checking for a corneal abrasion is painless.

dermdoc19 :

Do let me know how it goes.

Customer:

That's good to know. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for being there. I appreciate being able to discuss my issue and receive options to help relieve the problem.

dermdoc19 :

You're welcome.

dermdoc19 :

Have a good night.