Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

My son has small skin colored bumps on most of his body. they are itchy and bothering him.

My son has small skin colored bumps on most of his body. they are itchy and bothering him...his dr. said they were nothing (at the time they were ONLY on his cheeks and the back of his arms) and that he would grow out of the conition. I had something of the sort as a child but it never was all over my body. Only my face and the back ofmy arms. I was told my condition was seberia. (sp?) is there anything else that his condition could be?

Would it be possible to take a photograph of these bumps at your convenience?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wish. My SD card on my camera is not working and without it I cant take any pictures and I have yet to fix it....maybe I can explain in more detail?

The are very small. They are not really red, other then some he has scratched to the point of a small scab. They are clusters of bumps. The size of a single bump is almost the size of a pin prick

Hmm I don't want to mislead you with a wrong diagnosis and based on the history alone his bumps could be one of 3-4 conditions. I check in everyday so if you can arrange for a photograph even in the next week that will be fine. Would this suit you? Or would you just like the possibilities?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you give me the possibilites with symptoms and I can help narrow it down from what I know? If that doesnt work I can get you a picture as soon as I can. I realy did this to avoid going and waiting all day at my doctors office if I dont need to.
Okay. Typing out an answer. Be back with you in a 5-10 minutes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
great, I appreciate it.
The commonest cause of skin colored bumps in children is Keratosis Pilaris. This produces skin colored bumps which though mostly asymptomatic can sometimes be itchy. Another possibility is Follicular Eczema - this is a type of eczema where again there are skin colored itchy bumps distributed over the body. It can be a part of Atopic Dermatitis which is an internal eczema of children (which they do ultimately outgrow). Lichen Planus, Molluscum Contagiosum and Lichen Spinulosis would be the other possibilities but are less likely. Seborrhea does not produce bumps on the body, it just means excessive oil production on the body; hence I am not sure why your son’s doctor has made that diagnosis.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Looking at the pictures on google his bumps look most like keratosis there anything that I can do for him to lessen the apperance and itchiness? Willthis go away? Can you tell me what the dignosis means?
Sure - Keratosis Pilaris is a condition caused by microscopic scales occluding follicular orifices (hair follicle openings). The dots can be skin coloured, whitish or reddish. The condition is absolutely harmless and has a waxing and waning course. It is often associated with dry skin. People who’s skin is prone to developing KP’s generally do so throughout their lives but it is rarely a clinical problem for too long.

Here is what will help:

1. Retin-A cream applied once a night over the most affected areas. Benefit usually takes 6-8 weeks of regular use.

2. Moisturizing cream with 10-20% urea. Use a cream such as Urea care cream twice a day over the affected areas.

3. Avoid soaps. Switch to a soap free body wash (Nivea makes one)

4. For the itching you can give him 5 ml of Benadryl 2-3 times a day for 10-14 days an then SOS.

NOTE: Retin-A cream will require a prescription. The rest can be bought over the counter.

Hope this helps.