Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Experience:  Senior Consultant MBBS DNB (DVD)
25843817

I have red, itchy blotchy spots that appear on my hands, arms,

I have red, itchy blotchy spots that appear on my hands, arms, legs and feet. It started two years ago and will pop up occasionally. It happens in winter and summer, so it is not necessarily dry skin. It happens when I don't have anything to eat or when I eat, so it is not necessarily allergies. Any idea what it could be?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 2 years ago.
hello
thanks for using justanswer
I would be pleased to answer your question .
Can you send me the photo of the lesions?

How to send a photo

If you can transfer this photograph to your computer then the fastest way to get a picture to me is to upload it to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required. You can also upload them to any free photo hosting picasa or photobucket.com and send me the link

Or you can email the photographs to experts@justanswer.com with my name ( skindoctor2000 ) in the subject line but they usually take a few hours to forward these to me. Please note that you must send this from the same email address you registered with justanswer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My rash usually starts on my arms and hands. If it spreads, it goes to my lower legs and feet. Rarely, it will travel all over my body. A couple of times, large spots on my body (face, neck, stomach, upper thighs) have been all reddish pink and hot to the touch. I'm attaching photos showing the rash on my arms earlier today.graphicgraphic

Thanks for the information and photo provided.

Your symptoms are suggestive of Chronic Urticaria. This is usually caused by either intake of a new prescription drug like penicillin or an OTC drug like aspirin, systemic infection (either bacterial or viral), food additives, seafood or intestinal worms. Stress is also a major cause of an outbreak. It can also occur due to any topical applications , pets around , dust at home .

I would recommend taking Tablet Claritin 10 mg once at night and tablet Allegra 180 mg in the morning for a period of 2 weeks + calamine lotion over the affected areas whenever symptoms occur and seeing whether they recur on stopping the medicine after 2 weeks. If they do then restart treatment for another four weeks and then stop and see. If they still recur then you will require some blood tests and will need to see a doctor in person.
Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

Do you Accept my thoughts on your condition?Do you feel I have been informative and helpful or Do you feel you have got your Job done?Thanks and Take care. Do consider a positive feedback as a credit to my work Let me know if you have any further questions. The Answers cannot replace the advice on clinical examination.

Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Experience: Senior Consultant MBBS DNB (DVD)