Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Big Toe nail has turned black how do I get it back to normal

Big Toe nail has turned black how do I get it back to normal again?

When did this happen? Is the entire toe nail black?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This happened about a year ago. Yes the entire toe nail is black.

Okay. Did it turn black on its own or after some trauma to the toe?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, it turned black on its own little by little until the whole toe turned black. Then my pinky toe and the toe next to it started getting very inchy so I put foot medicine on it and then it was better for a while but ichyness come back on the pinky toe and my Big toe continue to stay black.

I notice it is only on my right foot the other foot has not problem at all.

Would you be able to take a photograph of the affected toe at your convenience?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay will get back to you in a couple of days
Okay great!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Hi again,

Thank you for the photograph. Your toe nail is afflicted with something known as Onychomycosis. This is basically fungal infection of the nail and is what has caused it to turn darker in color. Besides the great toe the second one is also showing signs of it.

Toe nail fungus does not respond to antifungal creams. It requires oral antifungals like terbinafine and itraconazole and these require a prescription. The dose is 250 mg once a day for 12 weeks for terbinafine and itraconazole 200 mg twice a day for 7 days (1 week) for 3 consecutive months, or 100mg twice a day daily for the same duration.The success rate is normally high (over 70%). This can be further improved by using a ciclopirox or amorolfine nail lacquer on the affected nail for 6-12 months. Again these will require a prescription.

If there is no way you can see a doctor for these prescription drugs then there is one over the counter remedy that has recently got some scientific approval - this is to apply vicks vaporub once a day over the affected nail everyday for 1 year. Nearly 50% patients either get cured or have significant improvement. Apart from this there are really no over the counter measures that work.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are completely satisfied. If you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.