Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

What causes the skin onboth of my ankles to turn very dark

What causes the skin onboth of my ankles to turn very dark in color following any injury or insect bit?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I will do my best to advise. However, please note that this does not substitute an in-person consultation with a doctor.

Injury or insect bites produce inflammation in the skin. Whenever there is inflammation in the skin this makes the pigment producing cells in ye skin hyperactive and these produce more pigmentation, which leads to darkening of the skin. This usually takes quite a few months, but does fade in time, if no further injury.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask! Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is the same answer I have received in the past. But it has been at least 7yrs from the first incident and it seems to have gradually expanded slightly upward from the ankle(s). above the original damage and appears like brownish freckles. The original injury site(s) are still very dark.

The skin is tough and after sitting in the evening for a couple of hours it feels a bit numb and tight.

There is no itching or pain.

Is there a treatment? laser perhaps?

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I see that you were not entirely happy with my answer. I am certainly disappointed as I strive for a 100% positive feedback/ rating. I will try my best to help.

On the ankles the blood drainage is poor as the body is working against gravity. In fact the progression of spots in the form of brown freckles you describe is suggestive of leaky capillaries in the skin which is very common on the legs. Again unfortunately apart from prevention (by wearing medical support stockings all day and keeping your feet up, and gently massaging the legs in the morning and evening with petroleum jelly), there is not a lot you can do. LASERs will not work but with the above measures, the pigmentation will gradually fade. However one has to be realistic and you cannot expect the damaged skin to go back to normal. But it will improve. If I had a magic wand I would have waved it but as a doctor I believe in being honest and giving my patients the right information.
I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction.
Experience: MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology