dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

White patches on my penis shaft, they were a couple which spread

White patches on my penis shaft, they were a couple which spread and they are around my shaft, which treatment do i need to take or which doctor to consult. How much time does it take to get this cured i mean only the white patches.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

Good eveilng

dermdoc19 :

Would it be possible to forward a photograph?

Customer:

Good evening, i dont have a photograph with me right now

dermdoc19 :

Is there any scale involved?

dermdoc19 :

Or just white patches? Do you have any white patches any place else?

Customer:

no dont on any other place

Customer:

i dont thing scales are involved

dermdoc19 :

They are flat then. Just areas without p;igmentation.

Customer:

yeah mostly flat

Customer:

but its around the shaft

dermdoc19 :

May I ask your ethinic background?

Customer:

Asian

dermdoc19 :

OK. One thing to consider is vitiligo. This is an area in which vitiligo can frequently start. If there is no scale and the areas are just losing pigment there is a fairly good chance this is what is happening. I would recommend a dermatologist since this is a skin disease and not a urologic problem.

Customer:

does it takes longer time to cure?

Customer:

and one more thing, some times it itches

dermdoc19 :

When treated early, this is a fairly easy condition to treat. It usually responds to a steroid cream,Protopic which is what we call a calcineurin inhibitor.

dermdoc19 :

It often takes a few months. Resistant cases can be treated with the Eximer laser.

dermdoc19 :

Occasionally, vitiligo can itch slightly but if there is severe itching it is probably something else.

dermdoc19 :

Iron and folate will help the pigment come back too.

Customer:

what is folate?

dermdoc19 :

The best OTC prodcut would be Maximum Strength Cortaid Ointment. You can use this twice a day before seeing the doctor.

dermdoc19 :

Folate is the same as folic acid, one of the B vitamins.

Customer:

ok

dermdoc19 :

It is often combined with iron. and can be found in the vitamin section of any pharmacy.

Customer:

i have an appointment with the doctor day after

Customer:

with the dermatologist

Customer:

let me try and send you a photograph of it now

Customer:

so that you will have an idea

dermdoc19 :

Go ahead.

Customer:

im back

Customer:

do you want me send those from here

dermdoc19 :

You click on the paper clip icon to upload.

Customer:

Full Size Image

dermdoc19 :

I am glad you send the photograph. This does not look like Vitiligo, so scratch the advice I gave earlier.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

check even these

dermdoc19 :

This looks like a rather rare condition: the annular variant of lichen planus. You also have pearly penile papules in the sulcal area, the grove between the shaft and the head of the penis.

dermdoc19 :

This would also explain the itching.

Customer:

yeah im not worried about the Pearly Penile Papules those are common cause i have them from long time

Customer:

Full Size Image

dermdoc19 :

Yeah...I thought that would be a secondary thing.

Customer:

im maily worried about the other white patches which spread and as you can see those became black on head of the penis

dermdoc19 :

No oral sores or nail changes?

Customer:

what?

dermdoc19 :

Sores in your mouth or nail abnormalities.

Customer:

no no

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

here you can see the black spots too

dermdoc19 :

I am also considering Balniltis Xerotica Obliterans which is a form of lichen sclerosus involving the penis.

Customer:

is it harmful

dermdoc19 :

I thought this first, but cases I have seen only had a few bands....

dermdoc19 :

Not harmful but difficult to deal ;with.

Customer:

it has been more than a month or two since these appeared

Customer:

first i thought they are fine might have caused due to some rashes

Customer:

but they never disappeared

Customer:

so i was worried now

dermdoc19 :

I am attending a dermatology meeting tonight and would be happy to show your pictures to a few of my astute colleagues to get there opinion. I do tell you this: it id not an easy diagnosis. You should definitely see a dermatologist, it will be beyond the ken of familly physician. I feel it is one of the two. The more I think of it I think it is more consistent with BXO.

dermdoc19 :

Their opinoion

Customer:

ok

Customer:

will you let me know about their apinion

Customer:

opinion*

dermdoc19 :

Definitely.

Customer:

thank you

dermdoc19 :

Welcome

Customer:

hello

dermdoc19 :

I did attend the dermatology meeting tonight and showed the pictures to three dermatologists. The concurring opinion was that this was lichen planus. We would recommend a potent steroid for three weeks and if not improved a skin biopsy.

Customer:

ok thank you

Customer:

and one more thing; i have an appointment tomorrow with a dermatologist

dermdoc19 :

Let him/her come to their own conclusion. Then you can suggest lichen planus if it differs. You did get four opinions tonight.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thanks i really appreciate it

dermdoc19 :

You're welcome. I waited until the dinner was over for obvious reasons.

Customer:

potent steriod in the sense

dermdoc19 :

Two weeks with a something like Betamethasone Dipropionate.

Customer:

is it an ointment or

dermdoc19 :

Ointment would be better.

Customer:

how many times a day do i need to apply

dermdoc19 :

Twice.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

do i need a prescription to buy from pharmacy?

dermdoc19 :

For what you have, I strongly doubt anything OTC will budge it.

Customer:

i didnt get you

Customer:

im sorry

dermdoc19 :

The strongest Over the counter medicatoin would be Maximjum Strength Cortaid ointment. I do not feel it is strong enough for lichen planus. In my experience it requires a prescription strength steroid ointment .

Customer:

oh ok

Customer:

any how will be going to the dermatologist

Customer:

hopefully that helps, and cures real fast

Customer:

thanks for the information and your time

dermdoc19 :

You are welcome. Let me know what happens.

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.