Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have weird red bumps that dont itch on my stomach. There

Customer Question

I have weird red bumps that don't itch on my stomach. There seem to be more appearing.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

How long have you had these bumps? How big are they?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a photo. They are small , like mosquito bites. They don't itch and sometimes they will have a little white head. I started out having one or two, and now I have about 8. I first saw the first one about 2 weeks ago. I have a latex mattress, so they can't be bed bugs
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
A photo would be helpful. The fastest way to get a picture to me is to upload it to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required. You can also upload them to any free photo hosting site like picasa or photobucket and send me the link if you prefer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have safari so here Is a link. The two dark dots on the left are freckles
http://m1056.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/peachy331/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3476.jpg.html?o=0

Excuse my flabby belly- I had a baby recently...
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Can't see the photos - could you please check the link?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This worked for me...
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Nope its now asking me for a password XXXXX it seems to be a mobile version of photobucket and so its not displaying properly on my computer. Are you uploading froma mobile phone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ugh. Yes. One more try

Or
http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t367/peachy331/Mobile%20Uploads/

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Thank you the link works this time. I see one picture of you with the tiny red bumps but the other one is of your baby - does he have these bumps too?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No that was just a pic I had uploaded another time. She is fine, so is my husband
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information. Typing out an answer. Be back with you in a few minutes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Your history and clinical picture are suggestive of a diagnosis of Molluscum Contagiosum.

Molluscum Contagiosum (MC) is an infectious skin condition caused by a virus (Pox Virus) which spreads by skin to skin contact. Per se the lesions are harmless and disappear on their own but can take anywhere from 3 months to 2 years to do so.

The simplest way to deal with them would be to leave them alone, since they do ultimately go away on their own - however this may cause them to spread to your daughter, which though not harmful to her will have considerable nuisance value. So if you can see a doctor then the MCs can be treated with either radiofrequency ablation, laser ablation or needle extirpation followed by 10% TCA application. Prior to these prescription creams like Aldara or Retin-A can be tried for 4-8 weeks.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

NOTE: The virus can also spread by auto-inoculation. That is by scratching existing lesions with the fingers. So if you're not having them removed make sure you do not pick on them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I have had this already for 2-3 weeks, wouldn't she or my husband have already contracted it?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Well they could have and even if they have many people never develop the bumps. But since there is a chance that they have not contracted it all the precautions I mentioned hold.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I should send you a close up, since I googled mc and the images don't look like my bumps. Also I've already had the chicken pox, not sure if they are related.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Sure, but these pictures just say 'get yours' and 'view all'. Can't see any real pictures.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, here we go again, sorry. Try this:Also, why only on my belly? Couldnt this be an allergic reaction?http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t367/peachy331/Mobile%20Uploads/
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Nope the link doesn’t seem to work.

Typical MC are pearly white in color and these are what most internet pictures of the condition look like. However the bumps are also often red and I’m afraid you will not find too many pictures of this type on a google image search. MC can occur anywhere on the body. And no chickenpox and MC are not related.

Allergic reactions do not produce discrete asymptomatic red bumps like you have - they produce flat redness along with itching or an actual eczema like picture.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm nursing my baby and don't know what to do now
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Just put a towel on your abdomen so that there is no direct skin to skin contact on the affected area and she should be fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
These are not MCs. I did lots of research. They are nothing like warts, and have no "core." what else could they be?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

The only other thing I can think of is folliculitis which is a bacterial infection of the hair follicles. If you have a close up of the bumps you can email the photographs XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX with my name (For Dr Nair dermatology expert) in the subject line and they usually forward these to me in a few hours. Please make sure you ask for an acknowledgment from JustAnswer that they have received your mail. I will get back to you once I can see the photographs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will, thank you. I will also add that since its gotten warm out, which is when these bumps started occurring, I've been sweating a ton, due to post partum hormones. So I'm constantly hot, and will use talcum powder on my belly.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I don't think the heat has much to do with these bumps but will see the photographs and comment. It is past 3 am in my part of the world and I am calling it a night. Will check in in the morning for the photographs. Regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks goodnight
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Most welcome, good night!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let me know when you see the picture... Tonight I noticed two spots on my breasts
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the photograph. These bumps could either be folliculitis or molluscum contagiosum. The easiest way to differentiate would be to do a 5 day course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin - if the bumps resolve the diagnosis is folliculitis. If not then a test called a needle extirpation with giemsa staining should be done to confirm mollusca. I would suggest seeing your doctor for these. Regards.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there anyway that these are bed big bites? So worried!
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

Doesn't seem likely. Bug bites usually itch and occur more on the exposed parts of the body like the arms and legs.