Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have red bumps on my stomach.

Customer Question

I have weird red bumps that don't itch on my stomach. There seem to be more appearing.

The bumps are small, like mosquito bites. They don't itch and sometimes they will have a little white head. I started out having one or two, and now I have about 8. I first saw the first one about 2 weeks ago. I have a latex mattress, so they can't be caused by bed bugs.

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

Thank you sending a link to the picture. I see one picture of you with the tiny red bumps.

Your history and clinical picture are suggestive of a diagnosis of Molluscum Contagiosum.

Molluscum Contagiosum (MC) is an infectious skin condition caused by a virus (Pox Virus) which spreads by skin to skin contact. Per se the lesions are harmless and disappear on their own but can take anywhere from 3 months to 2 years to do so.

The simplest way to deal with them would be to leave them alone, since they do ultimately go away on their own - however this may cause them to spread to your daughter, which though not harmful to her will have considerable nuisance value.

So if you can see a doctor then the MCs can be treated with either radiofrequency ablation, laser ablation or needle extirpation followed by 10% TCA application. Prior to these prescription creams like Aldara or Retin-A can be tried for 4-8 weeks.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

NOTE: The virus can also spread by auto-inoculation. That is by scratching existing lesions with the fingers. So if you're not having them removed make sure you do not pick on them.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I have had this already for 2-3 weeks, wouldn't she or my husband have already contracted it?

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Well they could have and even if they have many people never develop the bumps. But since there is a chance that they have not contracted it all the precautions I mentioned hold.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've already had the chicken pox, not sure if they are related.

Also, why only on my belly? Couldn't this be an allergic reaction?

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

Typical MC are pearly white in color and these are what most internet pictures of the condition look like.

However the bumps are also often red and I’m afraid you will not find too many pictures of this type on a Google image search. MC can occur anywhere on the body. And no chickenpox and MC are not related.

Allergic reactions do not produce discrete asymptomatic red bumps like you have - they produce flat redness along with itching or an actual eczema like picture.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm nursing my baby and don't know what to do now
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Just put a towel on your abdomen so that there is no direct skin to skin contact on the affected area and she should be fine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
These are not MCs. I did lots of research. They are nothing like warts, and have no "core." what else could they be?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

The only other thing I can think of is folliculitis which is a bacterial infection of the hair follicles.

It would help if you have a close picture up of the bumps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok I will, thank you. I will also add that since its gotten warm out, which is when these bumps started occurring, I've been sweating a ton, due to post partum hormones. So I'm constantly hot, and will use talcum powder on my belly.

Let me know when you see the picture. Tonight I noticed two spots on my breasts

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

I don't think the heat has much to do with these bumps but will see the photographs and comment.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the photograph. These bumps could either be folliculitis or molluscum contagiosum. The easiest way to differentiate would be to do a 5 day course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin - if the bumps resolve the diagnosis is folliculitis. If not then a test called a needle extirpation with giemsa staining should be done to confirm mollusca. I would suggest seeing your doctor for these. Regards.