Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology

Itchy rash around the penis head, red & flares up at night

I have a itchy rash around my penis under the head and half way on the head about a inch and its driving me crazy. Its red and flares up more at night when I do nothing.

This all started a month ago I have not changed anything soap etc and it is not poison ivy for it would have spread.

It has not spread It is sometime rare from scratching I try not to do when its not itching and you look at it it look real red and rare

Can you upload a picture of the rash? Let me know if you are unable to do so & we will try & work around it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. The pictures are consistent with an eczema. This is often caused by simple friction. Have you changed your underwear recently? Do you use cotton ones? These are the best material to use. Synthetic/ nylon can induce friction.
Eczema on the penis can often be superimposed upon yeast infections and vice versa. Therefore in my experience using lotrimin cream mixed in equal amounts with cortisone cream twice daily for 3 weeks, usually clears it up. In addition, it is important to moisturize the skin there regularly with either simple olive oil or petroleum jelly. That usually clears it up.