Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

I have several white pimple like bumps on the shaft of my penis. I

I have several white pimple like bumps on the shaft of my penis.
I went to a Dermatoligest and she told they were warts.
Is this common practice for her to make a diagnosis without lab work.
Because after that I went and had tests done for HPV and every other type
Of STD and they all came back negative. I have had them
Now for 3 months and they don't seem to be going away.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 2 years ago.

Dr.Sasi Attili : Hi. I will do my best to advise. However, please note that this does not substitute an in-person consultation with a doctor.
Dr.Sasi Attili : Are you able to upload pictures of the area?
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can try to send pictures
You have three options for sending me pictures:

1. The quickest:  upload the pictures here using the paperclip like icon in your chat box. You can't find it if you are browsing via a mobile/ipad or non-internet explorer browser like google chrome etc. You can try uploading via Internet explorer browser if you can. 

2. Upload the pictures to online photo sharing websites like Flickr/photobox/picasa web albums and paste the link here. 

3. Alternatively you can send them by email toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX with the subject line 'FAO dermatology expert Dr. Sasi Attili'.  Please note that you HAVE to send them from the email address you registered with on justanswer OR paste the link to your question in your email, or else the email won't be forwarded to me. Also do note though that emails might take up to 24 hours to be forwarded to me (and hence first two options preferable), though usually they are forwarded within a few hours. 

I shall get back once I receive the photos. Hope to hear from you soon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sir,

I was thinking about that email addres that you told me to send the pictures to.
I do not feel comfortable sending the pictures there because my name is XXXXX XXXXX
email and.
Has my full name and address everything and if I was go make a mistske
On the adress then that person would have a lot of embarrassing photos of me
Also that adress that is posted,who is looking at these photos beside you because it seems
As though it a general email account that anyone can access can you provide
Me with you professional email address?
I can understand your concerns. However the email address I have given you is the only way you can email pictures via Justanswer. The email goes to customer services who then forward the email to me. If you wish, you can create a dummy email address via gmail and then send the pictures?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't send pictures so without photos what would say this is
Since the PCR test came back neg for HPV Nd I was tested for
HSV 2& 1 which I already knew I had 1 because I get fever blisters.
How long does it take to test positive for the above contagions, because
The test was done a month ago and It was 2 month before I was tested
Can you clarify on what sample was a PCR done? Did they take a skin biopsy?
PCR won't work to detect HPV, if it was just done on a skin swab. It only works on a skin biopsy. If you have a wart, the PCR on the skin biopsy will be positive straight away. However PCR is very expensive and the diagnosis of genital warts can be made on a simple examination of the skin biopsy under the microscope, rather than having to do PCR.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They swabed the inside of my penis.
I am not sure if that was for the HSV 2
Test or the HPV but I believe it was for the HPV
The urologist said that it was normal but I don't
Believe it is.The dermatologist said that it's
Warts by just looking at the no lab work is that
Common practice? I would have accepted her
Dignosis but I was having to tell her which ones to
Freeze off and this didn't make any sense to me.
She even froze an are which there was nothing there.
yes. Warts are caused by HPV and are a clinical diagnosis in most cases. We don't do a biopsy unless the diagnosis is doubtful. We don't ever do a PCR for PHV/ warts. Its probably HSV you had a PCR for.
If the dermatologist thought you had warts, they probably are and freezing is a good treatment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So if I have this it will never go away because I read that HPV
Is incurable. Plus since they done a swab test on the inside of my penis and the
Results came back negative how can this be warts???This is the
Test they told me would determine weather I was positive for HPV
And it came back negative???
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
That's right I am afraid once you get HPV, you can't get rid of it, though you can get rid of the visible warts.

I think you are confusing the swab test done for HSV with HPV. There is no swab test for HPV
Experience: MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology