Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have these small pink bumps on my penis shaft. Some are dark

I have these small pink bumps on my penis shaft. Some are dark and some are light. I can not tell what they are. There is like 5 or 6 in a patch with the color varying. I am worried its an STD. Can I send a picture for you to see?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

I'd be happy to take a look at a photograph. You can upload some here using the paper clip icon in the question box toolbar. Can you see it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I cannot find the paper clip. Where is it?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Here are more detailed instructions:

the fastest way to get a picture to me is to upload it to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required. You can also upload them to any free photo hosting site like picasa or photobucket and send me the link if you prefer.

View Full Image
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Could you please try again? All it says is 'graphic'
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the photograph. These bumps look like Molluscum Contagiosum.

Molluscum Contagiosum is an infectious skin condition caused by a virus (Pox Virus) and spreads by skin to skin contact. When these lesions are found on the genitalia they have invariably been transmitted by sex.

The simplest way to deal with them would be to leave them alone if a patient is sexually inactive since they usually resolve on their own in 3-6 months. However if you are it would be best to have your lesions removed by either radiofrequency, laser ablation or needle extirpation followed by TCA application. Imiquimod cream also works well and is non invasive unlike the procedures I just listed. Your doctor can prescribe it for you.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

NOTE: The virus can spread by auto-inoculation. That is by scratching existing lesions with the fingers. So if you're not having them removed, do not touch the mollusca unnecessarily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How sure are you that this is not the Herpes or Genetal Warts on a scale of 1 to 100.

If you take an STD test , would this show up as a STD?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is this for sure not warts or Herpes?

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
I am 100% sure that this is not Herpes. I am about 95% certain that these are not warts. I am about 95% certain that these are Mollusca. Yes Mollusca is an STD and will show up in an STD examination.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will the virus eventually leave my body or is it a re occurring problem forever like warts or herpes.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
That's the good thing about Molluscum - the virus gets cleared by the body in a few months and then you're free of it.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)