Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Hi- Ive had a very small red spot on my nose for about 6

Customer Question

Hi- I've had a very small red 'spot' on my nose for about 6 months. At times it is more vivid, but it is always there. When I say 'spot'- it is barely a spot- ie you can barely feel it with your fingers. I'm just concerned as it has been there for so long, without ever clearing up. There has never been any secretion from it, it's not itchy or troublesome in any other way. Just wondering if I need to go to specialist to have something done with it? Thanks
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Would you be able to take a photograph of the spot at your convenience?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a photograph now, but can't see any way to upload it?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Okay great, if you can transfer this photograph to your computer then the fastest way to get a picture to me is to upload it to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required. You can also upload them to any free photo hosting site like picasa or photobucket and send me the link if you prefer.

View Full Image

Or you can email the photographs to experts@justanswer.com with my name (For Dr Nair dermatology expert) in the subject line but they usually take a few hours to forward these to me. If you choose this option please make sure you ask for an acknowledgment from JustAnswer that they have received your mail, and let me know that you have sent it. Please note that you must send this from the same email address you registered with justanswer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmmm ... unfortunately that toolbar is not present. Possibly because I am using the browser on an android tablet? Can I continue on another computer or is the only other option to send by email?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can continue on any computer you have by logging into your justanswer account.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the photograph. Your history and clinical picture are suggestive of a diagnosis of Actinic Keratosis. This is a skin lesion caused due to ultraviolet light damaging the skin. I see more two more spots on the left cheek that may be the start of similar lesions.

A skin biopsy is usually required to diagnose it accurately. The treatment options include 5-FU cream, Imiquimod cream or a procedure such as electrodessication or cryosurgery for established lesions. As these lesions have the potential to cause skin cancer later you must definitely show them to a doctor (preferably a dermatologist) and have them treated.

It is not good to keep getting these lesions, so it is essential that you wear an SPF 50+, UVA +++ sunscreen everyday irrespective of whether you are going out into the sun or not (8 am, 12 pm and 4 pm). Taking Cap Beta Carotene 30 mg once a day is also helpful. This is a skin antioxidant containing beta carotene and helps protect the skin from the sun.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI- I've managed to get an appointment with a dermatologist for September 25th!! Should i look for an appointment sooner than this, do you think?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

Well I understand it is very hard to see a specialist in Ireland but the sooner you can have this spot looked at the better. One or two months waiting is fine though.