dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I took some Bee Caps for energy about 2 months ago. I didnt

I took some Bee Caps for energy about 2 months ago. I didn't read the warning lable. All I knew it would give me energy. I have an allergy to bees. When I realized why I was itching so bad (to the point of almost crying) I realized it might be the pills. I stopped taking them immediately. This was about 1 month ago but the itching has not stopped. It wakes me up at night. The itching is where I sweat alot. Under my breasts, under my stomach and behind my knees. (all the creases). When will it go away? What do I need to do?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

Good eveing

dermdoc19 :

Would it be possible to forward a photograph?

dermdoc19 :

Good evening

dermdoc19 :

I think the Bee Caps are a red herring. After a month, any trace of the Bee Caps should be out of your system. Also, you are itching in areas which are classic for atopic dermatitis, the creases. It is possible that Bee Caps triggered an eczematous reaction. Another reason I favor eczema over an allergic reaction is that allergic reactions are usually hive like ( urticarial) or a generalized dermatitis. . Eczema tends to localize to a limited areas.

dermdoc19 :

By the way, I am curious about the warning. Bee sting allergy is due to the venom and not to royal jelly or Propolis. I suspect they place this warning in case some venom was accidentally injected into their capsules. Why would a company intentionally place venom into their product.

dermdoc19 :

That may beside the point. At this point, I feel you have an eczematous dermatitis. I would recommend Maximum Strength Cortaid applied twice a day, Cetaphil Restoraderm or Cerave Moisturizing Cleanser and Cetaphil Restoraderm Moisturizer. Aveeno oatmeal baths will help.

dermdoc19 :

Sunlight on days with low humidity or even tanning beds. Benedryl 25 mg. at night and Allegra 180 mg. a day to help control the itching.

dermdoc19 :

If the itch becomes intense, Dome boro soaks. Add 1 packet of Domeboro to 1 quart of cool water. Apply wet cloths to the area twice a day for 15 minutes. Ice cubes may be added to the solution for an even stronger anti-itching effect.

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for your question and I would be happy to answer further questions or clarify the above.

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Curious whether you have had problems with honey or products containing honey? There was an article on Porpolis in the latest Skin and Allergy News. You can probably Google it. The article is by Leslie Baumann.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
A few other things I did not mention. Avoid Lanacane. Continued use can cause an allergic reaction. Is there a family history of hay fever, allergies, or asthma. Use a hypo-allergenic detergent such as All Free & Clear, keep the temperature down in your home. Curious, so yo have a problem with honey and break out to that? Let me know if I can be of help.