Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology

My thighs, stomach and lower arms have many fat ripples. What

My thighs, stomach and lower arms have many fat ripples. What causes this and what can you do about it?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I will do my best to advise. However, please note that this does not substitute an in-person consultation with a doctor.

If its just because of excessive fat, the only solution is to do ab press exercises. That would tone the abdomen and make the appearance better. Have you done any exercises before?
Experience: MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been trying to lose weight but I walk a lot and don't understand the thighs looking like this. Should I do weight exercises?
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 2 years ago.
Hi, spot training really does not help. You have to make sure that your heart rate is up when you walk. You can try speed walking to begin with & then progress from there. You haven't mentioned your height-weight ratio, if that is in order then all you need to do is a bit toning up. If you cannot increase your walking pace then I'd suggest you at least carry a load of say 3-5 kilos in a back pack, this will not only improve your fitness levels but also up your work out efficiency without you having to increase your walking pace. As for flabby arms , thighs mid riff etc, this can be tackled with over all body toning and not just working out those specific areas.
Weight exercises definitely help in toning the body much quicker than just simple walking but they have to be done under the guidance of a trainer to obtain the best results. I'll be happy to answer any more questions that you might have in this regard. Do let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am 5'3" and weight 155 lbs. I have had a lot of health problems this past year pertaining to allergies and sinuses. I have been given steroids many times so I believe this has hindered losing weight. I did have bunion surgery in Sept. so this prevented my exercise schedule-especially walking. I used to do walking marathons and half marathons. I also had cataract surgeries on both eyes in Dec. and sinus surgery in Jan. All of this has interferred with exercising. I am trying to do more exercising but allergies have not been good this season.

What causes these areas to look like this?
For your height , the ideal weight is less than 132 pounds . However, given your health problems, & your steroid medications, you are still doing reasonably well. If you have been used to doing marathons & half marathons then rest assured you will regain your fitness levels with time. Steroids can pose a bit of a problem with weight loss, I agree. Depending on when you have been on the medications it takes a good 6-8 months to flush them out of your system. Since you mentioned that you have also had a bunion operation, I'd suggest you be careful when you work out & wear the appropriate footwear. Strength training can pose additional problems if you are not careful in that regard.
So there is no one particular cause that can lead to the loss of body tone, but all the mentioned factors can contribute to it.
Begin at a slow steady pace & keep at it even if you don't see immediate results. Am sure the hardworking will pay off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What causes these fat like rolls and can they be prevented?
Fat accumulation & loss of body tone usually causes skin to appear saggy. They can be prevented by working out regularly & maintaining a healthy diet.