Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

What is the cause and possible remedy for red burning swollen lips and the skin around the

What is the cause and possible remedy for red burning swollen lips and the skin around the mouth that make it look like I am a clown. It comes and goes. Is it a food allergy? Steroid cream does not help. It is much worse today than yesterday and I hate tomato pasta last night and cheese quiche this am. Thanks for your help! I look so bad I do not want to leave the house.

How long has this problem been happening for and how long do symptoms usually last?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have had this on + off since January 2012 and my lips + skin around my mouth can stay red for days. When they are red, they feel dried out + stretched out + they burn slightly. I have been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease but do not yet need medication for it.
Good Morning,

Sorry about the delayed reply, waited about an hour after sending my information request and then called it a night.

Given the fact that you have been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease your lip symptoms may be suggestive of Seborrheic Dermatitis, which is a type of internal eczema very common in the condition. Other possibilities would be contact allergic dermatitis to something, angioedema (which is a type of urticaria - another type of allergic reaction) and granulomatous lip conditions.

I would recommend trying treatment for Seborrheic Dermatitis which consists of prescription strength topical steroids like mometasone mixed in equal parts with either lamisil or clotrimazole cream - applied twice a day for 10-14 days. Along with this oral biotin and sun protection and sunscreen use (SPF 50+) is important. For severe or resistant cases oral itraconazole is the treatment required. I would suggest discussing all of these with your doctor.

If the above treatment does not help then a lip biopsy will be required along with a patch test to see what is going on.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Dr. Nair: FYI, my daughter's dermatologist suggested that I might be allerrgic to Vitamin E or anything with Tocopherol. I stopped using all lip balms and lipsticks with Vitamin E and applied Mycolog cream to the area and it has cleared up tremendously well. But I will be aware of your Seborrheic dermatitis as well. Thanks.

Hello again,

Thank you for getting back to me. Always great to get feedback how skin problems improved in the end. I'm very glad you are doing so well. All the best & regards!