Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have got itching /redness and burning in my hands and above

I have got itching /redness and burning in my hands and above my wrists. There are red blotches and little red spots. Heat seems to aggravate the itching. I also am getting itching and blotches on my face. I have had this for over two months now and it is gettingn worse. I have had three different creams prescribed by my gp and nothing works. It is getting so that it wakes me up at night and I find I have blood on my clothes as I unconsciously scratch during the day and dont realise I have scratched utnil I bleed.
Please can you helpo me?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Would it be possible to take a photograph of the affected area at your convenience? If not do let me know and we can take it from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no am unable to do that, not IT EXPERT enough!!! but they are raised red blotches and lots of little red spots. Myhands also are not the normal colour..i.e. red and skin is not normal in that because of all the scratching it is a bit rough looking, red and rough skinned.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Okay no problem. Require some additional information to make an assessment:

Do the red itchy blotches (hands/face) come and go every few hours or last for days?

Do the red areas in the hand become scaly or cracked (as in develop fissures/cuts)?

Has your thyroid profile, kidney and liver function been tested recently?

Any other significant medical history? In particular have you started any new prescription meds in the last 2-3 months?

Any thickening or pits in the nail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the blotches and itching is there constantly. The hands are red, like soreness but they are just completely red and distinctly red from wrist down with blotches and red spots from the wrist upwards. No not had anything tested. No new prescription at all.

No change in vitamin intake etc either. no no thicking in nails

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. The most common causes of symptoms such as yours are Palmar Psoriasis and Hyperkeratotic Eczema. For patients with a clear cut history of exposure to allergens (as in hobbies like gardening, pottery, wood work etc) contact allergic dermatitis can also be responsible. A skin biopsy from the affected area and blood work (Complete hemogram and biochemistry, Serum IgE levels and Thyroid profile) are required to make the diagnosis. If these are inconclusive then an allergy testing panel is required. I would strongly suggest discussing these with your GP since your symptoms have been there for 2 months and are not responding to general treatment.

Treatment will depend on the final diagnosis. Superpotent steroid creams like Clobetasol or Halobetasol along with Coal tar ointment are what help Psoriasis. Severe cases may required oral drugs like Acitretin.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)