Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have itching rash, seem like bites with streaks or lines

Customer Question

I have itching rash, seem like bites with streaks or lines of intense itching and a large not-complete red ring approximately5 inches long on hip and small (2-3 centimeter itchy lines on trunk. What cold it be?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Do the itchy lines come and go? What about the incomplete red ring on your hip?

How long have you had these symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since April 19. The incomplete long oval ring is extremely itchy and enflamed. It took about 4 days to become clearly an oval ring. The itchy little lines seem to fade but then begin to itch. Also have itchiness on fingers, chin arms legs and a long, approximately 6 inch line of itchy red on leg also on right hip an itchy patch, It is maddening.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. This oval itchy ring is most suggestive of Tinea Corporis (fungal infection of the skin). The other red lines and itching are suggestive of Acute Urticaria along with Dermographism and this may well be because of the fingal infection. If you can see a doctor in the next day or two oral antifungals may sort out both problems. He or she will also be able to confirm the diagnosis by doing a simple test known as skin scraping for KOH examination.

As far as over the counter meds which may help go, 1% Clotrimazole mixed with 1% Cortizone and applied on the oval ring twice a day + Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day + Calamine lotion on the red lines that come and go and most itchy areas may be of benefit. All of these will need to be continued for 3-4 weeks to completely clear up symptoms.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How does one get such a fungal infection? I thought it might be a bug bite or bites because I also live near river in Florida and was bitten by a spider and other stuff when gardening. I would like to also rule out things like scabies, shingles or other bug bites. Do you think what I describe is closest to a fungal infection?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Yes I do. Fungal spores are everywhere in the environment. So common that everyone suffers from some form of skin fungal infection in their lives. Humid areas like Florida have a higher incidence.

Scabies does not have a skin rash, just generalized dry itching and scratch marks, while shingles is characterized by painful blisters that show up in only one body region (itching is not a symptom of shingles). Lastly bug bites usually present as itchy boil like bumps or a blistery rash - again not corroborative with your history.

The acute urticaria and dermographism (the transient red itchy lines elsewhere on your body and the itching on the fingers etc) can occur as a hypersensitivity reaction to fungal infection elsewhere on the body (the hips in your case).