Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

I have a rash, it started a week ago, Under my Armpits, and

Customer Question

I have a rash, it started a week ago, Under my Armpits, and my inner thighs. They are small bumps, some are red, some have no color. They itch but do not hurt, there is no pus, or oozing. Is it Hives. What can I do to treat it? I am 7 hours away from my doctor.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Do the bumps come and go every few hours or have they been persistent since appearing? Is there any diffuse redness in the area or are just the bumps red?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They have stayed persistent since appearing. And the bumps are mainly just red. The area between my thighs are just barely red, the reddest of them are in my armpits. But I did shave over them lightly so that may be why. None of them appear to be open or pussing or anything.Also, I am I weigh about 155 lbs. so I am not overweight or anything that would cause chaffing. I didnt kno wif that would help.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Your symptoms can be explained by either cutaneous candidiasis (yeast infection) or superficial folliculitis (bacterial infection). The former (candidiasis) is much commoner in the skin flexures and is consistent with their being no pain or pus formation in the bumps and so would be my first diagnosis.

Here is what I would recommend:

1% Clotrimazole cream: Apply over the affected areas twice a day for 14 days

Zeasorb-AF powder: Apply twice a day (noon, early evening) over the affected area for 10-14 days then once a day for 14 days after the creams are stopped

Keep the area as dry and clean as possible.

Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day for 14 days

NOTE: All of the above are available without a prescription.

If this does not help then I you would need to see a doctor in person to get prescription creams and possibly oral antibiotics, but I am quite hopeful that it will.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I take acidophilus as well, in case it is yeast? I already have some due to past frequent vaginal yeast infections.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Also should I use the cream at the same time as the powder or seperate applications?

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

No probiotics do not really help with skin yeast infections - they are for internal or gut yeast infections. Us the cream in the morning and night and the powder in the afternoon and/or early evening - so separate applications.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would a rash like this come from? Is it some sort of allergic reaction?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

No, it is because of a yeast infection of the hair follicles. This yeast (candida) is present nearly everywhere in the environment and settles on our skins all the time. Given a favourable environment (as in the skin flexures where it is warmer and more humid than other parts of the body) these spores can germinate causing symptoms. Regards.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Don't known why you haven't seemed to have gotten my last response sent shortly after yours. Here it is again:

Your question - What would a rash like this come from? Is it some sort of allergic reaction?

Answer - No, it is because of a yeast infection of the hair follicles. This yeast (candida) is present nearly everywhere in the environment and settles on our skins all the time. Given a favorable environment (as in the skin flexures where it is warmer and more humid than other parts of the body) these spores can germinate causing symptoms. Regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I apologize for not getting your answers sooner. My only other question is: Can I still wear deodorant?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

No worries. I'm glad that you did get it in the end! No I would not advise wearing a deodarant till this condition resolves since the skin is more sensitive when inflamed and the deodarant could aggravate symptoms. Regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. So the itching has become much more severe, and bumps are popping up in other creased of my body, behind my knees and in the creases of my arms. I am 7 hours away from any physician. Your help would be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I have a rash in my armpits and inner thighs. It started in armpits 2 wks ago, then moved to thighs, I tried the 1% clormitrazole and powder and claratin as the first doctor said, and it has not helped. Now it has spread to behind my knees and in the crease of my arm. It has never pussed or oozed, but now the itching is worse and it is all I can do to not scratch it. I am 7 hours from a physician.. pleas give me advice.
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I will do my best to advice. However, please note that this does not substitute an in-person consultation with a doctor

I am happy to help. But given that Dr. Nair's suggestion did not help, we would have to consider two possibilities

1. It is not a fungal/ yeast infection and is an eczema (in which case you need to use a prescription strength steroid like betamethasone ointment once a day for 1-2 weeks in addition to petroleum jelly 2-3 times a day)

2. It is a yeast infection but not responding to creams (in which case you need to get a prescription for itraconazole 100mg tablets and take them once daily for 2 weeks).

However, it would be helpful if you could upload photos of the rash and that would give me a better idea.

Do get back if I can be of further assistance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will upload a photo for you... Is there a link somewhere to do so?
You can upload the pictures here using the paperclip like icon in your chat box. If you can't find it (usually if you are browsing via a mobile or non-internet explorer browser), you can either upload the pictures to photobox or picasa web albums and paste the link here.

Alternatively you can email them toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX with the subject line 'FAO dermatology expert Dr. Sasi Attili'.

Please note that you HAVE to send them from the email address you registered with on justanswer OR paste the link to your question in your email, or else the email won't be forwarded to me. Also do note though that emails might take up to 24 hours to be forwarded to me (and hence uploading to online sites like picasa preferable), though usually they are forwarded within a few hours.

I shall get back once I receive the photos. Hope to hear from you soon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sent the email with the photos. Thank you.
ok. As long as you followed all the instructions properly, they should be forwarded to me soon. Will get back as soon as possible. It is 1030pm here in UK. I shall be online for another 1.5 hours. If they don't reach me by then, shall reply first thing in the morning (provided they are forwarded by that time)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you very much.
No problem
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I received your pics this morning. The rash does look like an eczema rather than an infection to me. Usually when it affects the flexural areas in this fashion, one has to think of allergies to perfumes/ soaps or creams you are using (even if you did not start anything new).

In such cases I would suggest

1. stopping all perfumes/ creams/ soaps for 1-2 weeks in the first instance and then introduce one thing at a time to see which one your body is reacting to.

2. Use Dove unperfumed soap if need to

3. Prescription strength steroid - Betamethasone ointment once daily for 2 weeks. Cortisone cream available over the counter is the next best alternative but might not work well as it is a very weak steroid cream

4. Unscented petroleum jelly as moisturiser every 4-6 hours, to keep the skin from going dry.

If your problems persist, you would need to see a dermatologist to get allergy testing done, so that the chemicals you are allergic to, can be identified.

Hope that helps. Do get back if I can be of further assistance
Experience: MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you. I appreciate your help, and I FINALLY found a Dr. in this town that will see me this afternnoon.
Great. Do keep me posted as to how you get along