dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

can triamcinolone acetonide cream treat scabies

Customer Question

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

No, actually, Triamcinolone cream, being a steroid, will decrease skin immunity and make scabies worse. It might help with the itching but you would be better off with Sarna Lotion which does not contain steroids ( Sarna is actually Spanish for scabies!).

dermdoc19 :

You might use Permethrin again, and be sure every one in the family is treated. The most common cause of scabies treatment failure is not including non-affected family members.

dermdoc19 :

Happy to answer further questions.

dermdoc19 :

If your case is a difficult one, Ivermectin can be used. This is a pill, but is off-label and not for children.

dermdoc19 :

I am moving this into the Q & A mode, but you can still respond if you like.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Another good cream for itching would be Zonalan, which also comes in a generic. This, like Sarna, is non-steroidal and will not suppress the local skin immunity.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
whats good for kids ages 3 and 5 both males and a woman 30 and man 30
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we about to move is therer any thing wecan do to keep for moving and takig this with us what can we do to keep from spreading them and how can we keep from getting this again
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
The 3 and 5 year olds can use Permethrin ( Elimite, Acticin) 5% cream as can the adults. Bath. Apply to the entire body from the neck down. Wash off after 12 hours. Everybody in the family should do this at the same time to prevent "ping-ponging". Repeat this treatment in a week.
Washing dry cleaning or ironing of clothes and bedding is sufficient to get rid of the mite. No need to sterilize. All such clothing and bedding which has been worn/used in the prior three days would go through the hot cycle on the washing machine. Itching may persist for up to a week, maybe even longer,but as I have already mentioned do not use steroid cream. I like to use Eurax after treatment. This combines an anti-itch quality and also kills lingering mites!
Oral Ivermectin should only be given to adults!
As far as moving. The human scabies mite will die when it is not on people, so no need to really fumigate anything but the bedding and clothing of the last three-four days. Do the above for that. You might also let blankets and rugs sit in the sun for three days if the weather permits.
Happy to answer further questions or clarify the above.