Dr. Shahz
Dr. Shahz, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MCPS, MD
64119255

I have a rash on both my legs from below the kness to my ankle

I have a rash on both my legs from below the kness to my ankle . It is really itchy but there is no skin broken. Also both my legs swell including my feet. Can I get something over the counter to help this?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Shahz replied 2 years ago.

Dr.shahz :

Your satisfaction is my obligation,please ACCEPT only if you are satisfied,a positive feedback would be highly appreciated.

Dr.shahz :

hello

Dr.shahz :

would you please tell me that since when did you have this condition?

Customer:

the swelling started awhile ago about two or three months the rash or redness is in the last two or three weeks

Dr.shahz :

and also have you got any history of varicose veins?

Customer:

yes I used to work on my feet 10 to 12 hgours a day and did heavy lifting

Dr.shahz :

thanks for your inpit

Dr.shahz :

input

Dr.shahz :

have you checked it out from your dermatologist

Customer:

no I do not have any type of coverage and I was looking for a cream or over the counter med that would reduce the swelling and help with the rash

Dr.shahz :

right i can understand

Dr.shahz :

the condition is called stasis eczema

Customer:

what do I have to do to get relief

Dr.shahz :

and can be due to varicose veins and long standing because of which the fluid spreads out in the outer tissues because of the loss of the valve mechanisms of the veins

Dr.shahz :

i am going to tell you what you can do

Dr.shahz :

ok

Customer:

I work in an office and I sit 6-8 hours plus eveyday

Customer:

ok

Dr.shahz :

basically you have to avoid the standing as much as you can if possible.

Dr.shahz :

secondly if you are lying in the bed then you should put a pillow inside

Customer:

I can do that but can you tell me can I buy something to help with the itching It is driving me crazy

Dr.shahz :

and if sitting in the chair then you should lie them on the stool

Dr.shahz :

ok

Dr.shahz :

i was just telling you the precautions before the treatment

Customer:

ok

Dr.shahz :

do you have any ooze from the legs?

Customer:

none

Dr.shahz :

ok

Dr.shahz :

keep moisturise the areas with the Cetaphil body lotion to help the itch

Dr.shahz :

along with the Tablet Zyrtec 10mg once a day before going to bed

Dr.shahz :

for 2 weeks

Customer:

is Zyrtec an over the counter med?

Dr.shahz :

dilute some white vinegar in the water and use compression

Dr.shahz :

yes the medications are all otc

Dr.shahz :

thirdly apply maximum strength Cortoid ointment twice a day for 2 weeks

Dr.shahz :

this is a mild steroid and will reduce the swelling as well as the itch and Eczema

Dr.shahz :

finally

Customer:

what should I do if after the two weeks I am still have problems

Dr.shahz :

if you get the chance then please see your doctor to prescribe you with some compression stockings and some physiotherapy exercises to deal with the swelling.

Customer:

ok I would like to thank you for all your help I feel better knowing this might just be a quick fix

Dr.shahz :

you should see the effects of the otc medications if they work then you can continue with them for another 2 weeks but if not then you have to see the doctor to have some stronger prescribed medications which are not available otc.

Dr.shahz :

don't you worry everything will be fine hopefully.

Customer:

ok I will watch and if I have to I will find a doctor in my area

Dr.shahz :

if you think that the information was useful then you can click on the green ACCEPT button.

Customer:

Have a great day Doc. Thanks Again

Dr. Shahz, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MCPS, MD