Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

I itch all over my body When I starch little bumps appear they

Customer Question

I itch all over my body When I starch little bumps appear they do not ooze they just itch. I can starch till I bleed or bruise.This started about 3 months ago. Last week I had to take benadryl to get some relief.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I will do my best to advice. However, please note that this does not substitute an in-person consultation with a doctor

Can you clarify? So there is no rash before the itch starts? The bumps only appear later? Do you take medications for anything else? Have you ever had any skin problems before?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Correct the rash comes after the itch,then the bumps appear. I take the following meds. Armour Thyroid 60mg.C-Progest 150mg.& Provigil 200mg. I have taken all these meds for the last 4years.
ok. In that case it is unlikely to be caused by drugs. Itching without a preceding skin rash is in most cases due to internal causes. Yes using soothing creams like petroleum jelly or 2% menthol cream and antihistamines like hydroxyzine or benadryl (upto 100mg a day in divided doses) helps but we need to really find out what is causing it.

It is therefore important to see your GP and have your blood counts, glucose, thyroid, liver and kidney function checked to make sure there is no other cause for the itch. Rarely one can get itch due to neuropathy (sensitive nerves), but one shouldn't make that diagnosis before excluding internal causes. I hope that helps.

Do get back if I can be of further assistance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What blood test should I ask my Dr. for?
As mentioned above, blood counts, glucose, thyroid, liver and kidney function need to be checked.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Who should I ask these test from? My Md or my Dermalologist?
Any of them would be able to organize the tests. But your dermatologist might be better equipped to decide what other tests to order (if needed), based on the results of the initial tests