Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have an unexplained discoloration on my face in an irregular

I have an unexplained discoloration on my face in an irregular shape, it showed up a couple of weeks ago, I went in to see the local doctor ( I live in a remote community where cost of travel is very expensive. ) the local doctor could not determine what it is and I have my concerns.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Would it be possible to take a photograph of the affected area at your convenience?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I can
hold on a moment.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Sure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can you tell from this photo? I'm tryin gto get the best lighting. it's there by my nose an upside down "v"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the photograph. Is it the line like discoloration on the side of the nose?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know why mt photos are upside down?
yes it's the "v" shaped mark. there for about 3 weeks.
I did some face masks which irritated it over the weekend.
hoping it was superficial...
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

I can see the photos right side up. Thank you for the information. This discoloration looks like post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation as can often occur on the face. This pigmentation is not deep and usually fades even if left alone over 3-6 months. What accelerated recovery is using something like DCL AHA lightening gel once at night as a thin film over the mark along with an SPF 50+ sunscreen 2-3 times during the day (e.g 8 am, 12 pm and 4 pm). The lightening gel must be left on overnight. Both of these products do not require a prescription and are even available online at www.amazon.com

If your doctor can prescribe it for you then TriLuma cream works faster than the DCL gel. It is used in the same way as described above.

Lastly keep your face protected from as much sunlight as possible, avoid make-up use till this subsides (light foundation is okay) and no facial scrubs or the like should be done.

Hope this helps, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not need to see a dermatologist? Is it alright to have my Local doctor prescribe this skin disorder? as I mentioned before I live in a remote community.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Well seeing a dermatologist is always best but since this is not possible for you I have recommended an over the counter regimen. Yes GPs can prescribe TriLuma, but if one has never done so earlier then he or she may refuse to. In that case just use the OTC regimen I detailed. Regards.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)