dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

i have red bumps/rash on my waistline right where my underwear

i have red bumps/rash on my waistline right where my underwear is and they are really itchy/ugly. what can i do about this
Hi. Are the bumps itchy? Can you upload pictures?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes they are itchy. ive had them for a week or two. at first i thought it was razor bumps but they have been here too long. i can upload a picture if you need me to
Please do that. You can upload the pictures here using the paperclip like icon in your chat box. If you can't find it (usually if you are browsing via a mobile or non-internet explorer browser), you can either upload the pictures to photobox or picasa web albums and paste the link here. Alternatively you can email them [email protected] with the subject line 'FAO dermatology expert Dr. Sasi Attili'. Please note though that emails might take up to 24 hours to be forwarded to me (and hence uploading to online sites like picasa preferable), though usually forwarded within a few hours. I shall get back once I receive the photos. Hope to hear from you soon.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i dont see the paperclip icon... where is it?
It's only visible if you are using Internet explorer . If not, please follow alternative options suggested
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
let me know if this works.

this is the link to one of the pictures
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
it is taking too long and i want an answer faster
This most likely is either an allergy to the elastic in your underwear. Bill Jordan, a wonderful dermatologist from our area who passed away a few months ago, showed that allergic contact dermatitis to underwear elastic resulted only when the undergarment was bleached. I won't go into the chemical reaction, but let me say that patients who used unbleached underwear avoided this dermatitis. I would also avoid fabric softener and switch to All Free & Clear or Dreft detergents.
If you continue to have problems you might have to switch to spandex as this usually avoids allergic contact dermatitis. Pure cotton French-cut boxer shorts, which button and contain no elastic will also work. You might have to order them through a catalog.
As for present treatment, I would recommend Maximum Strength Cortaid ointment. Apply this twice a day. Prax Lotion or Aveeno Anti-itch lotion should control the itching.
Feel free to get back with any questions or concerns.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i havent had any problems with my underwear in the past so im not sure why all of a sudden it would cause this rash. and i havent bleached them... ever. this answer is better than anything else ive goten so im going to try and switch thins up. ill try an wear boardshorts for a couple days to see if that helps too
You still might be allergic to underwear that has not been bleached. I would try the French cut boxers as you mentioned. You still might be allergic to a component of rubber. I would recommend patch testing. Also, avoid clothing dyed blue or purple since some people are allergic to this dye. Finally, there is a possibility that you have Candidiasis ( yeast) or inverse psoriasis, a type of psoriasis that effect this area and often the arm pits.
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology