Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology

Hello: I have a rash on my buttocks. It is on both cheeks,

I have a rash on my buttocks. It is on both cheeks, and it is not inside by crack. It is on the cheek surrounding the crack. This started at the end of last summer. I have tried everything. I have eczema on my arms, so I have a prescription of triamcinolone. Didn't work. After that, I thought the skin may be dry, tried moisturizing lotion, didn't work. I tried a general anti-fungal. Didn't work. I tried an OTC ringworm medication, that didn't help at all (I would argue it made it worse). I tried hydrogen peroxide, baking soda baths, hydrocortizone, calamine, anti-hystimens (spelling?)...they all have failed. This god damn thing is still here. The only thing that seems to help a little bit is if I make a concoction of 8 parts water, 1 part bleach and apply it with cotton balls. That seems to help a little bit, but I know it can't be healthy to put a caustic substance like bleach on my skin, even if it is a small amount. This thing seems to get larger and bumpier, albeit not rapidly. The rash doesn't seem to bother me too terribly much during the day. I sit at work all day. It's at night or when I'm laying in a warm bed (even during the day), is when it gets out of control. when I wake up in the morning to go to work, the rash is moist, and incredibly itchy. Unfortunately, I don't have health insurance (job doesn't offer it in your first 6 months), and I can't really afford to get it checked out. Does anybody have an idea (based on what I just told you) as to what this could be?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 4 years ago.
Hi. What you describe might be a form of yeas infection called seborrhoeic folliculitis. However I cannot be sure without seeing pictures. Are you able to upload?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I possible can.
You can upload the pictures here using the paperclip like icon in your chat box. If you can't find it (usually if you are browsing via a mobile or non-internet explorer browser), you can either upload the pictures to photobox or picasa web albums and paste the link here. Alternatively you can email them to [email protected] with the subject line 'FAO dermatology expert Dr. Sasi Attili'. Please note though that emails might take up to 24 hours to be forwarded to me (and hence uploading to online sites like picasa preferable), though usually forwarded within a few hours. I shall get back once I receive the photos. Hope to hear from you soon.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had to send it via email.
ok. will get back once photos are forwarded
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Hi. I received the picture. But it of very poor quality and taken in dark lighting. So, I am really unable to make out much.

If your are unable to send a better quality picture, I would suggest getting a prescription for clobetasol propionate ointment and use it once a day for two weeks. Get back to me if it doesn't clear up. I am sure it would help as what your describe sounds just like resistant eczema. Seborrhoeic dermatitis is a possibility but that should have responded to antifungals and moreover it usually affects the crack, rather than the bum cheeks.