Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

I have had jock itch-like symtoms for about a year and a half

Customer Question

I have had jock itch-like symtoms for about a year and a half now. Have tied every over the counter cream, spray powder and foot powder without remedy.Have gone to the walk in clinic three times and have been told that he believes it is jock itch and to keep treating as I have been. A hundred and twenty dallars each time I have gone to be told to do what I have already been doing for over a year now. Physically and financially frustrated. Sweaty, raw from itching only around the crease of the sack. Some days, dry with a thin layer of dry skin(not scabbed) maybe a little flakey. Still itchy and when itched seems to produce its own wetness again. No blisters. Some days just seems to be sweaty or wet all day and all night. Dry it off and it seems to keep producing its own wetness. It seems to get worse if I let myself get worn down. Is there an std like this that is commonly mistaken for jock itch.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Do you have any skin problems anywhere else? Any history of psoriasis? Have you been checked for diabetes? What over the counter creams have you tried? Can you remember? Is it possible to upload a picture? Not to worry if not..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Same problem in the crack of my behind. No psoriasis history. Never been checked for diabetes. Lamasil, lotrimin and others I can't remember the names of but all claiming to get rid of jock itch or atheletes foot.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I send a pic to you. Email
?
Ok. The first thing is to get checked for diabetes as that can cause recurrent treatment resistant jock itch. So please do that. Secondly, can you tell me if you have used any steroid creams like cortisone? Did they help? Are you able to upload pictures?

You can upload the pictures here using the paperclip like icon in your chat box. If you can't find it (usually if you are browsing via a mobile or non-internet explorer browser), you can either upload the pictures to photobox or picasa web albums and paste the link here. Alternatively you can email them to experts@justanswer.com with the subject line 'FAO dermatology expert Dr. Sasi Attili'. Please note though that emails might take up to 24 hours to be forwarded to me (and hence uploading to online sites like picasa preferable), though usually forwarded within a few hours. I shall get back once I receive the photos. Hope to hear from you soon.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried cortizone 10 with no relief. I am working off a smart phone so I'll have to email pics.
Ok. Please email the pics and I shall get back to you with suggestions once the pics are forwarded to me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just sent pics, thanks
ok
Hi. I have received the pics now. What you have does look like an infected eczema. I cannot rule out an element of fungal infection. Here is my recommendation. Please try them and get back to me in 2 weeks

1. Itraconazole 100mg once daily for 2 weeks(need a prescription for these tablets)
2. Betamethasone cream mixed in equal amounts with fucidin cream and applied twice daily for 2 weeks (need a prescription for both).