dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have red bumps on my stomach that look like pimples. I also

I have red bumps on my stomach that look like pimples. I also have one large blotchy looking sore on my side. They are not oozing nor do they itch. I went to the nurse practitioner and she said it was caused by a virus and called it something that started with a p. She said it should go away in 7-14 days. I have already had the large sore for 3 weeks, but the little red bumps started this week. Help this is driving me crazy.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

Is it possible that the Nurse gave you the diagnsosis of Molluscum Contagiousm? Or Pityriasis Rosea?

Customer:

Neither of those sound like it. It was two words and I think the second word started with an h

dermdoc19 :

I feel like I am playing a word game...let me think... two words P....H.....

dermdoc19 :

Not infectious? Pseudomonas?

dermdoc19 :

Pseudomonas folliculitis can occur in this area. You don't use a hot tub do you?

Customer:

I asked if it was contagious and she said probably not but could be because it was caused by a virus. She typed something into the computer to show me a picture. No I don't have a hot tub

dermdoc19 :

That is caused by a bacteria though and not a virus. We are not sure of the cause of Pitryiasis Rosea, but some feel there is a viral etiology.

dermdoc19 :

Piedra Hortae?

dermdoc19 :

Black Piedra?

dermdoc19 :

That is caused by a fungus, not a virus.

Customer:

When I read about the rosea it said it was itchy and these do not itch or hurt. The large area is about the size of a quarter darker in the center with a lighter on the edges. The others started as little pimple size red spots and some have grown a little larger but nothing like the large sore. Might be the piedra hortae

Customer:

Then I guess that isn't it either she was sure it was a virus.

dermdoc19 :

Without being cynical, that would be a far out diagnosis for an experienced dermatologist to make...never mind an NP. Plus, that would not go away on its own in 7-10 days. It is most likely Pityriassis Rosea. If you forward a photo, I can probably help.

dermdoc19 :

We are starting to see cases of PR and this spikes in the summer months.

dermdoc19 :

Don't use triple antibiotic. Too many allergies.

dermdoc19 :

Verruca Plana...that is caused by a virus.

Customer:

That's okay, no way to send a picture. I appreciate your help. You spent more time with me than the nurse. You can't get in to see a doctor in this county unless you are dying. Thanks so much for trying.

dermdoc19 :

But, though it may go away on its own, not in 7-10 days.