Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology

How do you treat red scrotum syndrome. My scrotum is red and

Customer Question

How do you treat red scrotum syndrome. My scrotum is red and hot, especially in the morning but also throughout the day. I have been to several doctors including a dermotologist who have put me on various cremes and lotions as well as doxycycline and cipro. Nothing has had an affect on it. I'm concerned that this may be related to testicular surgery I had several years ago due to torsion and they had to remove the epididymus on my left testicle. I noticed several months ago that the left testicle is actually getting smaller. This is also when I started having issues with red scrotum. Can U help.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Is it just red or is it itchy and or flaky as well? Do you have any skin diseases elsewhere?

In most cases this is caused by a yeast infection and is called seborrhoeic dermatitis. i would recommend getting a prescription for Itraconazole tablets 200mg once daily for 1 week. That should hopefully get rid of it but you will need to start and continue using ketoconazole shampoo on a daily basis for 5-10 mins before your showering. That will stop it from coming back. Please answer my above questions and I shall get back to you. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is occasionally itchy but is not flaky and I do have a condition on my forehead which they called faliculitis/adult/ acne which they said the doxycycline would help with, but it doesn't seem to. They also put me on clindamycin topical.
Ok. It would be helpful if you can upload a picture of your face and scrotum. It would be unlikely to be acne at your age and I wonder if both are related.Nevertheless the treatment I suggest should help with both
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You stated that I should use Ketoconazole shampoo to wash the scrotum for 5-10 minutes, is that right?
Yes. That's right. Just leave it on for 5 mins once lathered
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how is the Itraconazole medication different from what I have taken already, and do you think that the surgery on my testicle has nothing to do with the red scrotum. I;m concerned that there may be some type of infection/irritation going on in the scrotum.
No. Infection of the scrotum would be quite serious and cause a lot of pain and swelling. You would also be unwell. Surgery does not cause red scrotum.

Itraconazole is an antifungal/anti-yeast tablet and is completely different from the antibiotics you have taken so far. Antibiotics kill bacteria, this tablet kills yeasts/ fungi.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to include that I was on diflucan orally when this condition first started. Is the medication that your recommending better for this condition?
Yes it is