Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have a red rash on my chest and it itches and kind of burns

I have a red rash on my chest and it itches and kind of burns and sting, but the itches is off the hook. Please help.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

Would it be possible to take a photograph of this rash at your convenience?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I send the pic back to you by emial.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately JustAnswer policy prevents direct email communication between customer and expert, so that picture will not reach me. You can upload the pictures to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required. Let me know if you have any trouble with this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Sorry about the delayed reply. My modem packed up. Thank you for the photograph. Tell me did you apply anything on the area before the rash started? Or did you wear a new chain and pendant or something? If not was there higher than normal sun exposure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Doc, no to all of that, it just came up on my chest and that is the only place it is, it is a patch this size of a dinner plate.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information. This patch looks like either contact allergic dermatitis or a photodermatitis. The former is more likely. Some endogenous eczemas can also present in this location, most notably Seborrheic dermatitis. I think you need a prescription strength steroid cream like Fluticasone or Mometasone applied twice a day for 7-14 days to clear this up. If you cannot see a doctor for this then I would recommend trying 1 % Cortizone cream mixed with Bacitracin ointment on the rash twice a day for the same duration of time. Tab Claritin 10 mg will help with the itching. All three of these are available over the counter without a prescription.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.