dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

I have had an itchy spot on the palm of my right hand for more than a month now. It is fla

I have had an itchy spot on the palm of my right hand for more than a month now. It is flat, with dark red lines along the creases of my hand. It also gets red spots (like a speck of blood under the surface) that seem to go away and come back in different areas. The affected area is about 3/4 inch by 1/2 inch. It is at the bottom of my palm (almost touching my wrist). About a week ago I had new spots on my body. I don't know if this is related because they look different. They are like little clusters of pimples (about 3-7 pimples in each one and smaller than the spot on my hand). I have one on my right arm, just above the inner crease of my elbow, one on my outer right thigh, one on my left buttock, one on my left ankle and one on my left outer wrist. They are not itchy unless something irritates them. No one else in my house has any similar symptoms (husband, 2 kids, 1 dog). If there is any way I can send pictures please let me know.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Good morning.

dermdoc19 :

Pictures would really help. If you could send them here by clicking on the paper clip icon and uploading it would be definitely appreciated.

dermdoc19 :

This is what we would call a psoriasiform dermatitis. In other words it kind of looks like psoriasis, and probably is, but does not have enough of the characteristics of it to be sure. In fact, I would develop places exactly like this until my skin went wild and told me I had psoriasis. The best OTC treatment would be MG 217 applied once a day and Maximjm Strength Cortaid OIntment. Take Omega 3 fatty acids, 1000 mg twice a day and Vitamin D3 2000 a day. If this does not help, you should see a physician for stronger treatment.

dermdoc19 :

Happy to answer further questions or make clarifications.

Customer:

Thank you for the information. I will go to the store first thing tomorrow to get everything. I do have one more question. I've been searching the internet for days trying to figure out what I had. None of the pictures I saw looked anything like it. But, my search terms did come up with a variety of terrifying causes - ringworm, bed bugs, flea bites, scabies, excema, etc. etc. My question is - how confident are you in this diagnosis (70%, 80%, 90%)? I know nothing is 100% guaranteed, but I just want to feel confident that I don't have anything contagious.

dermdoc19 :

That is a great question actually and in some ways maybe we physicians should be asked that more often. Realize we start from 99% and never 100% though. I would say about 80% with the hand issue. This might also be something called small plaque parapsoriasis without it. I can not absolutely rule out a fungus ( ringworm) without doing a KOH scarping of the skin, but I really do not think it is that. It is not bed bugs, flea bits, scabies ( remote), eczema, or skin cancer.

Customer:

Thank you for your honesty. I'm sorry, but now I have 2 more questions. #1 - If your diagnosis is correct, and I start the treatments tomorrow, how soon should I expect to see improvement? #2 - I would like to hit the Accept button so you get payment, but does that close our conversation? (Just worried if I hit Accept and then think of another question I won't be able to get back in touch with you.)

dermdoc19 :

You may need a stronger steroid such as Fluocinonide ointment twice a day which is a prescription item. It would take about a week. If you improve but not have resolution of your problem, then the diagnosis is probably the correct one. You can continue to ask questions after an ACCEPT for a week without an additional fee.

Customer: Thank you again for all your help. Hitting the accept button now.
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology