Dr. Shahz
Dr. Shahz, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MCPS, MD

I have had an itchy, stingy, biting sensation all over my body

I have had an itchy, stingy, biting sensation all over my body starting with my scalp. My dermatologist gave me a special shampoo but still the feeling persists. I am now having chills. I take advil which seems to lessen the sensation. This helps but the sensation remains and has persisted over the last few months. Where do I go from here with this?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Shahz replied 2 years ago.

Dr.shahz : Your satisfaction is my obligation,please ACCEPT only if you are satisfied,a positive feedback would be highly appreciated.
Dr.shahz : Hello
Dr.shahz : I can understand your concerns
Dr.shahz : Would you please tell me how long have you had this condition for ?
Dr.shahz : Are there any raised rashes or bumps ?
Dr.shahz : When you had chills,did you feel feverish or hot aswel?
Dr.shahz : Do you have dandruff or scales in the scalp if you don't wash it for sometimes?
Dr.shahz : Can you tell me the name of the shampoo you have been prescribed with !
Dr.shahz : Please answer these questions and we ll discuss the matter further to reach a conclusion. Thanks
Customer:

I have had this sensation over the last few months. The last time I saw a dermatologist was in December. There are no raised bumps. There were red rashes under my armpits but it has subsided.I don't have dandruff . I noticed that scales or flakes come out on my hairbrush I wash my hair almost every day to alleviate the sensation. I alternate with "T/Gel and L'oreal shampoo.

Customer:

The Dermatologist said she thought it was dermatis (spelling?) and that it was anxiety related. I am bothered that this has continued for so long. She said it was a chronic condition.

Customer:

I don't know if I have a fever only that the chills are very unusual.

Customer:

I had a friend who had pancreatic cancer. Her early symptoms were an itchininess all over her body. She also had liver cancer. Apparently her body was responding to the billiruben in her body. This is a little scary to me.

Dr.shahz : Sorry I was at work so I didn't respond to your chat in time.
Dr.shahz : Well from your history and description it seems like you are having Sebirrheic Dermatitis,which is an inflamed form of dandruff and a bit widespread .
Dr.shahz : It's a condition in which the body response to the yeast,called Pityrisporum Ovale,decreases and results in such a condition,it's harmless and not contagious. It's also has a very good response to topical anti fungals,and I am afraid since you haven't used anti fungals thats y it's not alleviating .
Dr.shahz : I am advising you some mediations and I am sure that you ll feel better in a week to ten days time.
Dr.shahz : Here is the treatment
Dr.shahz : 1- 1% Hydrocortisone lotion + 1% Clotrimazole lotion apply in 1:1 equal parts to the affected areas twice a day for at least two weeks and then once a day for another two weeks.
Dr.shahz : 2- Nizoral AD liquid,use it as a shampoo every other day in the scalp aswel as on the rash any where on the body,rinse it massage it and leave it for at least 5-10 minutes and then wash. That would be for a month.
Dr.shahz : 3- Tablet Zyrtec 10mg once a day before going to bed for two weeks would help in itching and Capsule Omega-3 fatty acid once a day after your breakfast will help in generalized dryness of the skin.
Dr.shahz : All these are available OTC and should have their effect in 7-10 days,if it didn't respond at all then I woul advise you to see your dermatologist to have a physical examination and also to run some tests to rule out any other systemic illness.
Dr.shahz : I hope the information given would be if help to you,I would be happy to answer any other questions if you have.
Dr.shahz : Otherwise I would like you to click on the ACCEPT button and a positive feedback would be appreciated of course
Dr.shahz : All the best
Customer:

/8

Dr. Shahz, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MCPS, MD