Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

large red blotchy weeping sores and spots on head, face, neck

large red blotchy weeping sores and spots on head, face, neck shoulders and at base of spine and about a dozen sc attered over the rest of the body. Have had this condition for nearly 3 weeks now.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

Are these sores itchy? Any overlying yellow crusting?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The sores are itchy with overlying yellow crust especially on the scalp and neck
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. There are two possibilities for what you have - either Infectious Eczematoid dermatitis (IED) or Discoid Eczema with secondary infection. Both can look virtually identical and respond to the same treatment.

You need a 5-7 day course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin (500 mg three times a day) or Augmentin (625 mg three times a day) along with a steroid-antibiotic combination cream like Fucibet cream or Clobetasol + Fusidic acid cream twice a day on the sores. I would strongly suggest discussing these with your doctor since they require a prescription.

If you cannot see a doctor for any reason then I would suggest cleaning the sores with dilute vinegar compresses (half cup of white vinegar in 1 liter of tepid water, soak cotton ball and spread over affected area for 5 minutes twice a day. Store the vinegar mixture in the fridge when not in use). Follow this with application of 1% Cortizone cream + Triple antibiotic ointment twice a day for 5-7 days. Take Tab Claritin 10 mg once or twice a for the itching. All of these are available without a prescription.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.