Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

hello, I have developed a rash on my penis head.. it is splotchy

Customer Question

hello, I have developed a rash on my penis head.. it is splotchy and red.. and sometimes i can barely see it.. sometimes i cant see it at all.. and sometimes its very noticeable..
I am very worried.. what std does this sound like?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Would it be possible to take a picture of the rash at your convenience?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have no way to do so at the moment.. can you give me any input without one?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Sure. STDs can be a cause of considerable worry and I understand why you might think this might be one. However no STD presents like this. STD's have clear cut symptoms - sores, ulcers, blisters, urethral discharge, inguinal bumps or abscesses etc. The only STD which can present as a vague rash on the penis is secondary syphilis but this rash is part of a rash affecting the whole body, not the penis in isolation. Your rash sounds more like candidiasis or seborrheic dermatitis - both of which are not STDs and will respond to 1% Cortizone cream + 1% Clotrimazole cream applied on the affected area for 10-14 days. Both of these are available over the counter without a prescription. In addition use a soap free body wash fro cleaning the genitalia, not a soap.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My hands and feet are very dry and have had some peeling skin... and then a very small red rash on my forearm.. does this mean secondary syphilis? i am very worried now
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

No. Trust me if you had secondary syphilis you would be covered with a rash and feeling quite sick. You would also have had a clear cut ulcer on the penis suggestive of primary syphilis in the last 3 months which would have taken about a month to heal. Primary syphilis precedes secondary syphilis.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay.. could candida be causing pain on forearm? and also.. i have miconazole nitrate cream 2% here at home... it says antifungal.. can i use that?

one more question.. i have had this little red dot.. not raised or anything on the very openeing (urethra) of my penis for what seems like years.. it has never been raised, hurt, scabbed, or anyhting... could this be something serious?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Yes miconazole will do as well. But buy some cortizone cream to mix it with. No candida is not likely to be causing arm pain. Cannot comment on the pain itself since it is outside my area of expertise.

The dot on the penis is most likely an enlarged penile gland. This is pretty common and nothing to worry about. Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im sorry i did not mean pain on the forearm.. i mean tiny little rash!! and also.. how might i have gotten this? is it a yeast infection... sexually perhaps?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Yes it could be a cause of the rash. You can try using the same creams on it as well. Candida is present commonly in the environment and occurs on skin when spores deposited there (and they are deposited there everyday through air, clothing etc.) get a chance to germinate and grow given hot and humid conditions locally. No candidiasis is not a sexually transmitted disease.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can it cause an itch? very sorry if i am bugging you.. just worried
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Yes candidiasis can be itchy. That's okay, I understand. Only thing is I am going to have to leave clinic in about 5 minutes and will not be online after that till today night.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay thank you for help. very much appreciated!!
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
You're most welcome! All the best.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so i have been doing the creams.. but my whole groin area itches now throughout the day.. only the penis had a rash on it... but it all itches.. also my urethra looks a bit swollen? and sometimes i feel like i have a tiny bit of discharge.. can this happen with the candida you mentioned? any help?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Is there any rash in the groin area or just the itching? What color is the discharge?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
only rash on the penis head but itching everywhere.. and i cant really tell.. it doesnt come out a lot or very much... it just kind of looks like dried semen around the tip of my penis sometimes.. and i can just peel it away..
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information. I don't mean to undermine the problem but itching without a rash is often a sign of anxiety. This causes a nervous itch in the area of concern. I would suggest Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day for 10-14 days and this should help stop the itching. Secondly try your best not to scratch the affected area since this only causes more itching (the so called 'itch-scratch' cycle).

And I don't think you have any urethral infection. In the absence of severe burning while passing urine, the scanty discharge you are mentioning could just be normal prostatic secretion. This usually occurs during sexual stimulation but high anxiety levels can cause prostatic secretion even otherwise. Just ignore it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay, sorry i have one more question.. the penis rash you said is likely due to a yeast infection? i just noticed a bright red rash in in the very top of my bum crack. that is a bit painful to touch... rash on penis is not painful at all... if feels like a blister or something.. or a cut.. but looks like a rash?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could they be related? or is this something very serious?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Yes candidiasis often occurs in the bum crack. I would suggest applying the same creams in the area - they should clear it up.