Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY
19010125

My testicles are red and sore. My doctor says its fungal but

Customer Question

My testicles are red and sore. My doctor says its fungal but the creams are not working. Also it burns when i pee sometimes. My crotch just overall seems chapped. Whats wrong?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 2 years ago.

Dermadoc :

hello

Dermadoc :

i can understand your concern

Dermadoc :

the scrotum can be red and sore this way due to extreme dryness

Customer:

ok but why hasnt it cleaned up

Customer:

*cleared

Dermadoc :

or if you are wearing really tight clothes

Dermadoc :

it will need a lot of moisturizing to clear up for sure.

Dermadoc :

are you using any moisturizer?

Customer:

ok but why does it burn to pee ?

Dermadoc :

does it burn at the urethral opening or when the urine falls on the scrotum?

Customer:

opening. and its uncomfortable like inside the penis.

Dermadoc :

its possible that you might be having urinary tract infection. is the frequency of urination also increased/

Dermadoc :

?

Customer:

not really no

Customer:

i was thinking UTI too but how would i get that?

Dermadoc :

i will recommend that you drink a lot of water and orange juice as well.

Dermadoc :

uti is a common infection to get in many individuals.

Customer:

ok so is there any chance this is an STD?

Dermadoc :

it does not sound like a std for sure

Customer:

that is obviously my main concern...

Dermadoc :

i am saying that based on the redness of scrotum also

Customer:

why is that not something that happens for stds?

Dermadoc :

uti is not always a std

Dermadoc :

in some cases it can definitely happen due to sexually transmitted infections.

Customer:

I didnt think it was one.

Customer:

well yeah if you have sex with someone with uti youll get it

Dermadoc :

redness and chapped appearance of the scrotum is usually not a feature of std.

Customer:

but I mean what im more concerned with is Herpes because that is not curable

Dermadoc :

no it does not sound like herpes at all.

Dermadoc :

herpes presents with fluid filled blisters in groups

Dermadoc :

you dont have that

Customer:

no those I would notice correct?

Dermadoc :

of course yes

Dermadoc :

you definitely would notice them.

Customer:

i do get pimples on my lip though which i had one while this was happening which freaked me out

Dermadoc :

actually that may be an unrelated episode.

Dermadoc :

nothing to worry, surely not genital herpes.

Customer:

ok thats good. so what would you suggest I do? what should i put on my genitals?

Dermadoc :

in case you keep getting a burning sensation when you urinate, you will need to get a prescription from your local doctor for a course of oral antibiotics.

Dermadoc :

and you need to apply a moisturizer thrice a day.

Customer:

and thats for the possibility of UTI correct?

Dermadoc :

also instead of triamcinolone, pls use cortisone cream once a day.

Dermadoc :

yes, the antibiotics would be for uti.

Customer:

like Cortisone 10?

Dermadoc :

yes, its a milder cream.

Dermadoc :

and try to give it breathing space at night if possible.

Customer:

do you think the creams he gave me might have dried out my testicles?

Customer:

cuz i know that like with my acne cream, sometimes it dries out my face and chaps it

Dermadoc :

sometimes, that can happen. thats why i would recommend a switch to a milder cream.

Customer:

isnt cortisone a steroid though which would make it a strong cream?

Dermadoc :

also please avoid tight occluding pants.

Customer:

well i have to wear dress pants to work

Dermadoc :

a steroid cream has different strengths.

Dermadoc :

cortisone is the mildest of all.

Dermadoc :

after work, you could possibly change into a pair of comfortable shorts.

Customer:

yeah i do that...and also on the under side of my penis its red in the middle up the shaft and to the head

Dermadoc :

looks to be the same thing. you can apply cortisone cream on that as well.

Customer:

so could it possibly be the inside of my penis is somewhat chapped? or is that even possible?

Dermadoc :

no, thats not possible, that doesnt happen.

Customer:

ok so the burning is most likely uti?

Dermadoc :

you need to keep drinking lots of water though

Dermadoc :

yes its most likely uti

Customer:

ok but one more time... from what we have talked about this isnt an std?

Dermadoc :

it doesnt sound like it right now.

Dermadoc :

but as i mentioned that a course of antibiotics for uti may be required.

Customer:

my main concern is something not treatable like Herpes. I know there are stds that can be cured.

Dermadoc :

herpes is out

Customer:

so how long would you say this will take given the appropriate action being taken?

Dermadoc :

in a week it should improve.

Customer:

alright i will give it a try. I am seeing my doctor in a week so hopefully it will get better by then. I appreciate your time.

Dermadoc :

you are welcome.

Dermadoc :

please let me know if u have any queries.

hope this answer is useful?

please click on the green accept button if this answer is helpful.any bonus or feedback is appreciated.

Customer:

how would i ask you questions after this?

Dermadoc :

after you click accept, i will still keep receiving all the replies that you post in this question.

Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does each reply after cost money?
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 2 years ago.
no of course not, it wont cost you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i put cortisone on....and it feels like i have ice on my testicles. normal? haha
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 2 years ago.
ya thats fine. nothing to worry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I get your emails i figured i would let you know. My issue has not resolved. Currently my testicles are still red. And the fungal infection has spread to my inner thighs. I am actually starting to think this may be something like herpes because on my inner thighs i am getting red spots. I feel like my legs are chaffing all the time. My penis and testicles are a little sensitive. Other than that and my testicles still being a little red, there is nothing else on them. Which is my only hope that it is not herpes. What does this sound like to you?
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 2 years ago.
hello,

i would appreciate it if you can post a photo here. i will be able to rule out herpes better. also it would let me see what you exactly have.

regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I send a picture?
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 2 years ago.
You can upload pictures to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar.

Another option is to upload pictures to www.photobucket.com
or www.picasa.com
and send me the link. Whatever you prefer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is no paper clip, tree icon or toolbar.
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 2 years ago.
then you will need to use the other option please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you allowed to post pictures like that on those sites?
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 2 years ago.
yes, you have to upload it on the site and then copy the link and paste it. your photos will be protected by your account id and password
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://www.photoshop.com/users/Customer/albums/c2f0f7ad6b4a499ba6ea357fe8e71b46

Here is a few pics. well the gallery
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 2 years ago.
hello,

i am sorry but when i click on the link, it says there is an error, could you please change the settings or reload the pictures again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://www.photoshop.com/users/Customer/albums/c2f0f7ad6b4a499ba6ea357fe8e71b46/view#43fafe94fa324d8d8f78e2e764f99365

Try that. I cant change the settings I dont want people going in.
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 2 years ago.
hello,

i am sorry, i cant access it. i understand the need for privacy, maybe you can change it temporarily, after i see the pictures you can change them again. i will still let you make the decision.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I changed the settings so it lets me pass out the URL. You should be able to see now
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 2 years ago.
thanks for sharing these pictures. you can change the setting now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
anything to get an answer. So what do you think?
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 2 years ago.
i went through the pictures. the pictures of scrotum are quite clear but the picture of the penile lesions are not very clear.

however there is definitely no herpes on the scrotum for sure. the redness on the scrotum is called scrotal dermatitis.

the penile lesions looked old but i couldnt see them clearly, in herpes, there are usually a cluster of blisters that occur.

now coming to the scrotum,

it can even be contact dermatitis, that can be secondary to the clothing that you wear, also can be related to your occupation if you are around an environment where there are chemicals or aerosols being used.

due to exercise, sweating also there can be this kind of redness due to irritation.

the treatment is to use cortisone cream once a day just for a week more and then stop. and use sarna sensitive skin lotion twice a day.

also if you sweat a lot a talc powder can be used to absorb the sweat.

the lesions on both sides of scrotum may be the beginning of a fungal infection. so i would recommend the use of lotrimin cream twice a day. its an anti fungal cream. please apply it all over the scrotum.

its available over the counter.

please let me know if you have any queries. If you have any follow up questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is just a red spot on the penis on the underside. It doesnt hurt its just there. There is a little redness on the penis and it feels like whats on my scrotum. Its sensitive. Sometimes its sensitive enough that it feels uncomfortable to do some stuff that I wont mention. Honestly, Ive seen pictures of herpes and it looks nothing like what I have. As far as work environment, I work at sears. I am a manager so I wear dress pants. But the boxers I wear ive been wearing for years. Ive been using cortisone cream and also the anti fungal creams my doc gave me but im all out of that and it didnt work. I am also going to see a dermatologist in the area to see what he says. Thanks for all your help. I just want this to go away haha.
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 2 years ago.
you are welcome. please use the sarna sensitive skin lotion till you meet your doctor, and hope it helps. its available over the counter. all the best.