Dr. Shahz
Dr. Shahz, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MCPS, MD
64119255

I have had a small patch of scaly skin on my nose for a year

I have had a small patch of scaly skin on my nose for a year or so..there is a small area about an eighth of an inch in diameter which is very very slightly brown,but mostly scaly.
Can I safely ignore this unless it gets red or larger?
Should I see a dermatologist soon, or is it not urgent,or not necessary.
Thank you
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Shahz replied 2 years ago.

Dr.shahz : Your satisfaction is my obligation,please ACCEPT only if you are satisfied,a positive feedback would be highly appreciated.
Dr.shahz : Hello
Dr.shahz : Would you be able to upload some pictures of the site involved?
Dr.shahz : And also do you have an itchy scalp or little bit of dandruff aswel?
Customer: No..unfortunately, I do not have any means to do so.. I can only give a verbal description. It is not red or inflamed at all. I was looking on the Internet for photos of skin cancer and it really does not look like any of those
Dr.shahz : No problem I would try my best to reach to a conclusion
Customer: Yes,do have both itchtpy scalp and dandruff.! Can I feel relieved that it is of not much consequence(the lesion on my nose)!
Dr.shahz : Do you have scaly spots or bumps like that any where else?
Customer: No...The only thing that alarmed me is that my family has a history of skin cancer, but they all got theirs at a very young age and I have not had any trouble at all until this scaly patch came up a bit more than a year ago on my nose.THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME WITH ME!
Dr.shahz : Well the information you have given I can say that You have got seborrheic dermatitis
Customer: That sounds like a relief.. It is a little round spot..but you recon that it is just an isolated spot?
Dr.shahz : Which is a common harmless scallywag condition of the skin but if left alone untreated then it can last long and can spread to the areas like face,sides of the nose front of chest and scalp aswell,it's due to a fungus called Pityriasis Orbecularae.
Customer: I have fungus on my toes also..that makes SENCE. I am going to press 'accept' and give you a bonus.many thanks!
Dr.shahz : Don't worry I ll prescribe you some medications and you ll feel the difference very soon
Dr.shahz : Please would you take a moment so that I can give you a prescription?
Customer: Yes.thank you
Dr.shahz : Are the webs of your toes also involved and are there any nail changes?
Customer: Definitely! I have used a topical and the webs are much better, but the nails have changed on both big toes. I did get prescription many years ago, but the medicine,.a systemic, made me quite sick..so I have taken no internal mess for the toes..just use herbal remedies which do not do much.
Dr.shahz : I would suggest you should start Clotrimazole lotion 1% + 1% hydrocortisone ointment and apply 1:1 equal parts to the lesion twice a day for 2 weeks
Dr.shahz : Cetaphil lotion especially after bath and before going to bed
Customer: Allright. You have been very kind.i wrote this all down. Thank you
Customer: Cesta phil lotion is for toes?
Dr.shahz : Nizoral shampoo on alternate days and Omega-3 fatty acid oil capsules once a day after a meal for one month would also have good effect on skin and scalp.
Dr.shahz : The lotion is Cetaphil sorry for mis typing
Customer: My fault (spell checker on my computer )
Dr.shahz : I would be happy to answer any questions in future,a positive feedback would be appreciated of you are satisfied.thanks
Customer: Thank you! Will do..
Dr.shahz : You can have Fluconazole capsule 150mg once a week for 4-6 weeks for nails and webs fungal infection and also apply Zeasorb powder twice a day to affected areas .
Dr. Shahz, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MCPS, MD