dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

i have little bumps on my feet that get flakey and itchy.Is

i have little bumps on my feet that get flakey and itchy.Is there something topical that would help,and what is causing this
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

Would it be possible to forward a photograph? To do so, you should click on the paper clip icon on the toolbar to upload.

dermdoc19 :

Is there a family history of this? Where exactly are these bumps? Any symptoms? Are you developing them gradually or did they come on all at once?

Customer:

Hi its not possible at this time for pic,but it has gradually occured over time,last several years.No family HX of this.It doesn't always itch, but i can pick at it and it flakes off.The bumps are on top and sides of both feet .sometimes my feet look very white when i itch them, any ideas

Customer:

i never really received an answer to my question

dermdoc19 :

These sound like stucco keratoses.

dermdoc19 :

These are white, small bumps, usually on the lower legs, feet and especially around the Achilles tendon.

dermdoc19 :

They typically, as in your case, can be easily picked off without bleeding, but recur. There is no real "cure" for this. If you can find a patient dermatologist they can be scraped ( curetted) off or frozen off. They can also be treated with 20% glycolic acid if you patiently can place one drop on at a time. This is time consuming. Some authorities feel that the use of AM- Lactin Cream may prevent them from forming but the evidence for this is weak.

dermdoc19 :

They do not portend anything significant and are quite harmless. They do not turn into cancer and certainly are not communicable. There is an entity called Acroverruciformis of Hopf which is inherited and has similar lesions.

dermdoc19 :

Happy to answer more questions or clarify any of the above.

dermdoc19 :

If this answer does not fit, please let me know. I apologize for the delay, but was taking my wife out, and she can be quite demanding.

Customer:

i do appreciate your time and this does help.Wow this really is interactive lol.You are taking time out of your life from wife to give me an answer.I am sure your wife isn't demanding,in that she just wants to spend quality time w you.I will see about making an appt. w a Dermatologist.. Thanks

dermdoc19 :

LOL. Actually the evening was pleasant. Thanks.

Customer:

Wow i just looked at pics of stucco keratoses and its exactly wht mine look like.i finally have an answer.Do you know what causes this and having them frozen off,does that mean they won't occur again . You probably want to go to sleep as it is late . I am in Rhode Island and its late here <but again thanks

dermdoc19 :

Not really known what causes them. There was an article in the British Journal of Dermatology a few years ago in which the wart virus was detected and treatment with Aldara, an immune stimulant worked. Generally, it has been ascribed to friction. The ones frozen off should go away but you can certainly develop new ones.

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology