Dr. Shahz
Dr. Shahz, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MCPS, MD

I have what look like white pimples on my scrotum. I have actually

I have what look like white pimples on my scrotum. I have actually popped one in the past and a hard like cheese texture came out. They are very hard to pop practically impossible. I have had one or two there for years but just recently they are starting to multiple and I'm concerned. My scrotum is now starting to feel rough to the touch.
What are they? Why have they started multiplying? How can I get ride of them?!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Shahz replied 2 years ago.

Dr.shahz : Your satisfaction is my obligation,please ACCEPT only if you are satisfied,a positive feedback would be highly appreciated.
Dr.shahz : Hello
Customer:

Hi

Dr.shahz : Would you be able to upload the pictures of the lesions please
Customer:

Okay I'll have to take photos and up load ... never done this hope it wont take too long

Dr.shahz : If you could see the paper clip or green tree sign on the chat screen then you be able to attach the pictures
Customer:

For some reason once I've clicked on the paper clip and chosen my photo it wont then connect with the image URL ...

Customer:

Once I've uploaded the photo nothing happens when I press ok to carry on ... strange.

Dr.shahz : Ok no worries I ll try to grab as much information as i can to reach to a conclusion
Dr.shahz : How big these pimples are? Do they itch or bleed? Can you squeeze that cheesy material from it easily?
Customer:

Not very big couple of millemetres in diameter. They stick out slightly not flat to the skin hence the rough feeling. No pain or itching or bleeding. I can't squeeze them easily no i've tried but only ever managed it once...

Customer:

they are covered by a normal layer of skin that I feel I would need to cut to get the hard cheese like substance out

Dr.shahz : Right
Dr.shahz : C
Dr.shahz : R
Customer:

Full Size Image

Dr.shahz : Are you on any prescribed medications for any medical illness at all?
Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

No I'm not

Dr.shahz : I have got the image thanks
Dr.shahz : There are three possibilities 1- MilIa which are small cysts containing body protein called keratin
Dr.shahz : As the information I have gathered from you is suggestive of that
Dr.shahz : These are harmless so that's a good news
Customer:

Was that Milla?

Dr.shahz : They can be left alone if not infected or enlarged in size or get inflamed
Dr.shahz : They are common in all ages and can occur anywhere
Customer:

How do I get ride of them?

Dr.shahz : Milia often disappear spontaneously after a number of months
Customer:

From my past experience with them - the one I eventually burst - it had been there for a couple of years. As these are so hard I can't see them going by themselves ...

Customer:

What where the other 2 options?

Dr.shahz : But they can be easily removed by breaking the skin surface with a sterile needle and scraping out the contents.but it should only be done by a dermatologist or a GP with some dermatological experience as it is a simple procedure.
Customer:

Okay cool. I'm going to my STD clinic this week will they sort it there for me?

Customer:

Will I always have this or will it go and come?

Dr.shahz : The second thing which resembles the milia is called SEBOCYSTOMA which is the enlargement of the sebaceous gland and it's again a harmless condition of the skin.
Dr.shahz : But the size in that condition should be between 1-3 cm
Customer:

No these are much much smaller

Dr.shahz : Which is again not favouring it but can occur in exceptional circumstances.
Customer:

the third?

Dr.shahz : The treatment is again the same as for milia.
Customer:

Why are they now multiplying?

Dr.shahz : The only thing which I must rule out on a skin biopsy for a patient like in your case would be CALCINOSUS CUTIS which is an abnormal accumulation of calcium deposition in this fasion
Customer:

Okay so a needle and pop them out by a dermatologist or gp ... Anything else I can do in the meantime?

Dr.shahz : That's the main concern if they are multiplying then you have to see a dermatologist to rule out Calcinisus Cutis.for which they will do a biopsy and some blood tests to determine the calcium levels in the body which may be increased.
Dr.shahz : And the treatment would be removal of the lesions surgically and medications to lower down the calcium if confirmed on biopsy.
Dr.shahz : I am afraid that there is no other treatment as such but you should be carefully observe the lesions for further multiplication,infection or enlargement.
Dr.shahz : Discuss these conditions and treatments with ur family doctor and hopefully you ll get rid of it completely as all these conditions are not life threatening.
Customer:

They are definitley multiplying and becoming more prominent if not any bigger than 3 millimetres

Dr.shahz : But if needs to be sure then they should take a biopsy from the site to be 100% sure what that is.
Customer:

Yeah they are just a bit ugly and I have stopped having sex because of it

Dr.shahz : So then you definitely need an appointment with your dermatologist for a physical examination and further evaluation.
Dr.shahz : I hope this discussion would have cleared many doubts.
Customer:

Yes it has been very helpful thank you.

Customer:

I was concerned it might have been forbes or something when it covers all your skin with bumps and theres nothing you can take for this?

Dr.shahz : You are welcome,of you are satisfied the a positive feedback with ACCEPT would really be appreciated.
Dr.shahz : Best of luck,and looking forward to answer any questions in future aswell
Dr. Shahz, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MCPS, MD