dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

Hi again. I have a question about a mole I accidentally cut

Customer Question

Hi again. I have a question about a mole I accidentally cut while shaving.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 4 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

What is your question?

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for requesting me.

Customer: Hi, well I was in the shower and I was shaving and I cut my mole or skin tag a bit and it's been kinda irritated. I feel pains on my leg to. The mole or tag is by my thigh and pubic area
Customer: Hello
dermdoc19 :

Sorry, for the delay, I've had a busy morning office hours.

dermdoc19 :

My feeling is to consult with a dermatologist to be sure every thing is fine. We always wonder why the mole got cut, was there something wrong with it, before it was cut? It may have been irritated or inflamed. So, it is advised to have it examined. However, to re-assure you, in all my years of practice, I have had a number of these situations come up and never was there anything serious.

dermdoc19 :

By the way, if this was a skin tag and not a mole, using an emollient such as Original Formula Eucerin may prevent these from developing.

dermdoc19 :

Happy to answer further questions and thank you for your patience.

Customer: I made an appt. I want to get it removed. It hangs out like a skin tag. So if I move it, it moves around. So when I shave it got cut.
dermdoc19 :

For some reason my computer is not picking up any prior chat. I will answer from home. Thank you.

Customer: Ok thank you
dermdoc19 :

It is actually a good sign that it moves around freelhy. Skin cancers tend not to.

Customer: Yes it does. That's why they said it was a skin tag but I thought it was a mole. If I touch it it has a small pain were I cut it. I don't know if I keep irritating it.
dermdoc19 :

Sometimes, if the blood supply of a skin tag is tampered with, it can hurt.

Customer: Can it be cancerous?
dermdoc19 :

Very doubtful. It trul sounds like a skin tag which does not turn cancerous.

Customer: Can moles turn into skin tags or turn looking like them?
dermdoc19 :

That is an excellent question. Many skin tags ( fibro-epithelial polyps using proper medical terminology) actually have melanocytes in them, the cells that make pigment and make up moles. Some authorities feel that the irritation which caused the skin tags can provoke the formation of moles. At any rate, those sort of mole-skin tag very, very rarely can turn malignant.

Customer: Because mine use to look like a mole (darker) and now it looks like a skin tag.
dermdoc19 :

I may still be a mole and developed into a skin tag. This does happen in a fair number of skin tags. More reason to take the remnants out.

Customer: I should get it checked? I made an appt to get it removed
dermdoc19 :

I think it would be prudent to have it removed. For relief if for no other reason.

Customer: Ok one more question Can this mole Skin tag have cancer?
dermdoc19 :

A skin tag, as the lay term would have it, does not. A mole/skin tag would be very, very rare. Nonetheless, it should be removed.

Customer: So I shouldn't remove it?
dermdoc19 :

No, I would recommend removing it.

Customer: For safety? Can it easily turn cancerous?
dermdoc19 :

No..very rarely, can it turn cancerous.

Customer: Ok I scheduled an appt to dermotologist. Thank you so much for your time, and help.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 4 years ago.
I think it is wise to schedule with the dermatologist. You should ask for a full skin exam. Thank you for the ACCEPT. I hope I have helped you. However, I was wondering, did you really mean to give me a NEGATIVE evaluation?
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 4 years ago.
Let me know what happens. Would you be good enough to contact customer support to erase the negative feedback, unless you really intended that....and even then kindly reconsider. Thank you.