dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I started breaking out along my bra line, under the breast

Customer Question

I started breaking out along my bra line, under the breast around to my back. I went to my doctor and was put on prednisone. It went away, but after I finished the prednisone, the rash came back. After I finished the second dose, the very day I was on a single pill, the rash appeared again and it came back with a worse case. The rash appeared on my entire front trunk, under my arm (on the outer underarm). I returned to the doctor and they put me on a higher dosage of prednisone and that is where I am today. The doctor that I say (not my regular doctor, but an associate) said that he would hit the Immune System harder this time. I am a Type I Diabetic and will need to monitor my blood sugar more closely and it tends to rise on prednisone. I am concerned that when I finish this round, it may return and then what do I do?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 4 years ago.
I certainly wouldn't use prednisolone. If you need a steroid, it is better to use a steroid cream, especially with your diabetes. Please upload pictures of the rash and provide more details re yourself and about the rash and I shall certainly advice.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know how to download photos, but I can provide the description and further description. The rash is raised, red, and it itches and burns. Yesterday, I felt like a wick on a candle, burning badly and I could hardly wait in the room before seeing my doctor. I asked for a cream upon leaving my appointment and the doctor sent out a prescription for the prednisone and for a medication, hydr-Oxyzine HCL 25mg tablet, for the itching, twice a day. The rash appears on the front of my trunk, but is being helped by the prednisone. I am afraid if I don't take the medication, I'll be in the same shape. I have the doctor's personal telephone number, he told me to call him at that number and he will help monitor my blood sugar. Do you have any further feedback?
I am afraid it is very difficult for me to advice without seeing photos of the rash. Please try if possible. You can upload the pictures here using the paperclip like icon in your chat box. If you can't find it (usually if you are browsing via a mobile browser), you can either upload the pictures to photobox or picasa web albums and paste the link here. Alternatively you can email them to [email protected] with the subject line 'FAO dermatology expert Dr. Sasi Attili'. Please note though that emails might take up to 24 hours to be forwarded to me, though usually it is within a few hours. I shall get back once I receive the photos. Hope to hear from you soon.