Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

Hello. My left testicle turned purple/black color. It doesnt

Customer Question

Hello. My left testicle turned purple/black color. It doesn't hurt when in restroom or ejaculate. Remain the same size. What do I do?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 4 years ago.
Hi. How long has it been since it did that? Is it painful to touch? I would suggest you see a doctor immediately as it could mean that the blood suPply to the testes is compromised
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's been 3 days. Not painful to touch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

Would it be possible to take a photograph of the affected area at your convenience?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, no photos.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Okay. Tell me how big this area of discoloration (purple/black color)?

And just to confirm - apart from the spot being visible you have no other symptoms like pain etc?

Lastly did you take any medication within a day of this problem appearing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I haven't taken any medications. Feel no pain. I think over night area got smaller a little and now it's located in a middle, between testicles starting fro penis area going down, looks like purple/black line.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Its a little hard to give an exact diagnosis without seeing the affected area. I was thinking of the possibility of a Fixed Drug Eruption (FDE) - this is one of the classic causes of an asymptomatic black spot affecting the scrotum or penis. FDE usually starts within 24 hours of a person taking a medicine which is the culprit. However since you have not taken any FDE is less likely in your case. However since sometimes even food additives can cause it, it is not ruled out 100%.

The second possibility would be a bacterial infection of the skin caller Erythrasma. This presents as a dark patch and is again characteristically asymptomatic.

Other possibilities would include insect bite reaction, genital lichen planus and fungal/yeast infection - however these usually have at least some itching or pain associated with them.

Since the spot seems to be decreasing in size, I would suggest applying neosporin cream on the affected area (twice a day) for 7-10 days. The spot should be lighter by then and if so will fade completely in a few weeks. However if the area becomes larger or painful it would be best to see a doctor in person.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.