dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

Can glycolic acid make under eye puffy/swollen?

Customer Question

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

Either one of these can make the under eye areas puffy. The skin is sensitive and can react quite easily. I would cut out one and see if that is the culprit. You can put a little bit of Cerave PM moisturizer on the area. This has anti-aging activity in itself and will also protect the skin.

dermdoc19 :

Happy to answer further questions for you.

Customer: So I should just stick with putting one on and not both at the same time?
dermdoc19 :

Yes. One of these, is causing your problem. Also, Retinol is a fairly fragile molecule and it is quite likely that the glycolic acid is inactivating the Retinol.

dermdoc19 :

If you want to apply two compounds with a Retinoid or Retinol, separate them by at least 1/2 hour.

Customer: Ok,but it's not bad to use one cream in morning an another different one at night? I will use the glycolic cream in the evening.
dermdoc19 :

I would do the reverse....retinoids (and Retinol) should be used at night since sunlight breaks down the molecule.

dermdoc19 :

Differin which is a synthetic retinoid does not break down as much and can be used in the morning, but we are not sure of its anti-aging effects.

Customer: Differin is the name? Ok retinol at night.
Customer: Before I apply the glycolic cream in the evening do I was my face before?
dermdoc19 :

Differin is RX. If you are looking for anti-aging I would stick with a Retinoid or if your skin is sensitive ( or you want to use a retinoid type product under the eye) Retinol. I would not apply both Glycoloic acid and Retinol but use glycolic acid in the morning...after you are sure that is not the problem.

dermdoc19 :

Wash your face and wait at least 1/2 hour before applying Retinol

Customer: Ok so retinol and glycolic acid should be enough? Instead of 3 creams
dermdoc19 :

Retinol at night and glycolic acid in the morning but as I suggested stopping one or the other to see which one is causing the irritation.

dermdoc19 :

I like a Cerave PM moisturizer if your skin is irritated....by the retinol.

Customer: I was using before a 10% glycolic cream and yesterday I change it to a 12% cream and today I woke up with swollen puffy eyes.
dermdoc19 :

It may also be the other ingredients if the creams do not have the exact same ingredients.

dermdoc19 :

Were they obtained from a dermatologist ?

Customer: No I just bought the cream online
dermdoc19 :

Ok. Which product exactly?

Customer: Alpha hydrox AHA souffle Soothing anti wrinkle
dermdoc19 :

Let me check the ingredients.

dermdoc19 :

There are a couple of ingredients in this which you may be allergic to...imidalindozyl urea is a formaldehyde releaser you may be allergic to as green tea. Which Retinol product are you using?

Customer: I'm using philosophy help me retinol
dermdoc19 :

Thank you. I examined the ingredients of both. I would use the Philosophy product at night first. Stop using Alpha Hydrox . Do this for a few days. Then add alp;ha hydrox in the morning. If you then break out, you have your culprit: Alpha Hydrox. By the way, there was an agreement a few years ago between the FDA and the cosmetic industry that they would only market alpha hydroxy acids 8% or below and the higher strengths were limited to dermatologists and plastic surgeons. 12% was felt to be too strong. At any try to abstain from the Alpha Hydrox and see if your problem resolves.

Customer: Oh really. Thanks I will do that!!! So it's prob to strong to use under my eyes ?
dermdoc19 :

yes, that is what I think.

Customer: I think to since I tried it last night and woke up like this. So I shouldn't use it at all under my eyes?
dermdoc19 :

I would hold up.

dermdoc19 :

Late for me on the east coast and will sign off...let me know if you have questions tomorrow.

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology