Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Medical specialities and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

How long does the acute HIV rash typically last and does it

How long does the acute HIV rash typically last and does it itch? I have a rash (looks like bug bites) that's started on my legs, some on the side of my crotch, and then moved to my back, chest and butt. It itches like crazy and vie been treated for scabies 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't improved. I now have a few small itchy bumps on my face, but the original rash on the legs started 5 weeks ago. My dermatologist thinks it's mites and my allergy doc thinks it's hives, but I started this rash 3 weeks after unprotected sex with a guy I was dating. I'm a little freaked out. I took a rapid test at 4 weeks and it was negative.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Why do you think this is a HIV rash?
Do you have HIV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The test came back negative. I'm just concerned about reading everything online and making myself paranoid. I haven't had any other symptoms except for the itchy rash that keeps spreading and won't resolve at all. The bumps on my legs resemble bites or red raised bumps some in a line and others random all over my legs. They are similar on my back, but are a little smaller. The ones on my stomach are similar to my back, but on my chest, they are more red and smaller than the chest or back. In addition, the stuff on my face includes 3-4 very small raised red bumps and I had one pop like a pimple and the others just itch. I've had dandruff before too and it's itchier than normal right now too. I'm just curious if this sounds typical to acute HIV rash or something else all together.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
This is not a HIV rash since you do NOT have HIV positive results.
This could be a parasite such as chiggers, fleas or something else....so you might need to get cream that has Permethrin in it to help and then use Eucerin cream to soothe your skin.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've already done that treatment with no relief. I finished the scabbies treatment 3 weeks ago. I'm taking Allegra in the morning and 20 mg Zyrtec at night now and it seemed to help a little but now it's not doing anything. I understand that my result was negative, but it was only 4 weeks after the encounter and I haven't retested yet. Have you seen something like this being HIV related or does it sound like it resembles something else? Are there steroids or other OTC meds or treatments that can help this kind of thing?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Why are so you anxious about HIV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Honestly, I was married for 6 years and after we split, I had completely unprotected sex with a guy that I was seeing. Between that and the timing of the rash, it just concerns me. I would like to think its something else, but I've never experienced anything like this before. I'm itchy and these bumps are all over my body.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
But your HIV test is negative, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but it was only 4 weeks after possible exposure. Does what I'm describing sound like it should be of concern for HIV or would you have any other suggestion of what this could possibly be?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Well - if this was HIV then the HIV test would be positive, so this is not a rash due to HIV.
So, from what you are describing and if all else is normal - this could also be a 'self-induced' rash - a rash from anxiety - and this is probably what this is.
Please click on ACCEPT thank you
Experience: Board Certified in 2 Medical specialities and US Medical School Graduate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How does one rid of an anxiety induced rash then aside from reducing anxiety? Would HIV show up on a rapid test typically after 4 weeks?