Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Does laser treatment for toenail fungus really work?

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

No - lasers are generally not used for treating toenail fungus.

I'm not sure which meds you were on but toe nail fungus (Onychomycosis) is best treated with oral antifungals like terbinafine and itraconazole and these require a prescription. The dose is 250 mg once a day for 12 weeks for terbinafine and itraconazole 200 mg twice a day for 7 days (1 week) for 3 consecutive months, or 100mg twice a day daily for the same duration.The success rate is normally high (over 70%). This can be further improved by using a ciclopirox or amorolfine nail lacquer on the affected nail for 6-12 months. Again this will require a prescription. If just a single nail is affected then simply having this nail removed can cure the problem.

If there is no way you can see a doctor then there is one over the counter remedy that has recently got some scientific approval - this is to apply vicks vaporub once a day over the affected nail everyday for 1 year. Nearly 50% patients either get cured or have significant improvement. Apart from this there are really no over the counter measures that work.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are clinics springing up offering Pinpoint laser nail treatment offering cures- eg in Harley Street and in Milton Keynes.these treatments appear to cost between £600 and £850. Is this a total waste of money?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

In my opinion yes.