Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have a rash on the back of my hand and wrist. Very itchy

I have a rash on the back of my hand and wrist. Very itchy with flaky skin. My girlfriend, who in an RN, said that it resembles psoriasis, but I have no history of that. Any ideas?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

Would you be able to take a photograph of the rash at your convenience?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sure, I'll get it to you ASAP.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Sure take your time. I check in everyday.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the photograph - since when do you have this rash?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
about two weeks, I think.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Yes your rash does look like Psoriasis and this can start at any age. The diagnosis can be established with a skin biopsy but for this you would have to see a dermatologist in person. If you cannot do so in the next couple of days then here is an over the counter regimen that will help:

1. 1% Cortizone cream + Mg 217 sal-acid ointment twice a day (morning & evening) over the affected areas. Mix these two creams in equal proportion before applying. Continue for 14 days and then apply once at night for 14 days more.

2. Balnetar Therapeutic Tar Bath: Add to tub of water as directed on the bottle - soak hands in tub for 15-20 minutes. If this is not possible then use soapworks coal tar soap bar and leave lather on for 5 minutes. Product does not smell very good and will stain clothing but is effective.

3. Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day for the itching. Take for as long as required.

Lastly keep the affected areas well moisturized with a moisturizer of your choice.

NOTE: All of these are available over the counter & online at

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.