Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

What is the most effective treatment for pigmentation?

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

Which part of the body has the pigmentation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Face - nose, chin & cheek bones
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Well nothing works as fast as Hydroquinone. I usually start my patients on Hydroquinone 2-4% in combination creams such as TriLuma once at night for a few weeks before switching them to something like Kojic Acid, Arbutin or Azelaic acid which are better tolerated and safer for long term use. Getting chemical peeling done also helps in both treatment and maintenance. However all of these creams require a prescription.

Here is a regimen that you could use at home:

1. DCL 20 % Glycopads or Glycolic acid 30% solution for home use: Apply on face once every week. Leave on for 5 minutes initially gradually building up the time to 15-20 minutes over the next few months. Before using on the face apply a test patch behind the years to check for sensitivity.

2. Hydroquinone 2% cream (DCL AHA lightening gel) - apply over patches of melasma once at night. Use for 6-8 weeks till the pigmentation is gone & then taper off. Mix this with a moisturizer like cetaphil cream if its too strong by itself.

3. SebaMed SPF 50+ sunscreen: apply three times a day over the entire face - 8am, 12pm and 3pm. It will need to be reapplied if it is washed off at any time. This is the most important measure to prevent reappearance of pigmentation after successful therapy. This reappearance will invariably occur because your skin has become sensitive to UV rays and responds by producing pigment in the affected areas. Once this sensitivity appears it is life long.

4. Cap Lumitene 30 mg twice a day for 3 months, thereafter once a day.

All of the above are safe to use and available without a prescription. If there is no improvement in 4-6 weeks, then you require professional chemical peeling and should see a dermatologist in person.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.