Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Experience:  Senior Consultant MBBS DNB (DVD)
25843817

I have little warts at the back of my neck. How do I get rid

Customer Question

I have little warts at the back of my neck. How do I get rid of them?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 5 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

Would it be possible for you to forward a photograph to be sure of the correct diagnosis? Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-7wtpcpv7- :

No. I can't. But what it is, according the the doctor I have been seeing, these watrs are produced by hair that grown inwardly. Does it make sense?

JACUSTOMER-7wtpcpv7- :

I am still wating for adivice.

dermdoc19 :

I am having technical problems on this page.
I did read your answer and I am even more confused! Your physician seems to be describing pseudofolliulitis barbar. This is a condition in which the hair turns on itself, pierces the skin and causes a bump.

dermdoc19 :

However, this describe a wart.

dermdoc19 :

Also, prescribing tablets doe not fit any of the possibilities I am thinking of.

dermdoc19 :

Without a photo to clarify the situation, I am going to OPT OUT rather than give you an answer I do not feel comfortable with.

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 5 years ago.
Since the Other Expert has opted out , I would be please to answer your question.:

There are three possibilites:
The warts which you are mentioned may be:
1.Acne Keloidalis Nuchae: these can look like wart like growths. .These as you mentioned can occur as you have mentioned which are formed by the hair growing inwards complicated by excess growth of tissue . These are removed with intralesional steroids along with a combination treatment of laser hair removal to remove the hair. The Keloidalis word is just a misnomer and does not mean that you have keloid tendency.

2. Skin tags: These are excess of the skin which are commonly seen on the back of the neck. They are removed by radiofrequency method where a pen like instument is used to pass a mild current to cut the skin tags. It was a scab on the area which last for 5 days and then the skin heals normally without leaving behind any mark.

3. Pseudofolliculitis barbae: These as you mentioned can occur as you have mentioned which are formed by the hair growing inwards.Very unlikely to occur at the back or nape of the neck. They are removed by Laser hair removal technique using Laser.

Do you Accept what I have explained?
If you Agree with the Answer you can press the Green Accept Button below. You can also consider a feedback or a Bonus as a credit to my work . Let me know if you have any further questions. The Answers cannot replace the advice on clinical examination.