Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I plucked a nose hair at the tip of the inside of my nose.

I plucked a nose hair at the tip of the inside of my nose. It's become infected, I believe, but it's not seriously infected. There's little or no redness, swelling is minimal and can barely be noticed, but I can feel it when I open my nose. I've gone to sleep and woken up since it started and there's been no major change.

I've heard infections after plucking nose hairs can be extremely serious.

Is this situation serious, and what should I do about it?
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Yes infections in the so called danger area of the face (tip and inside of nose, philtrum and central upper lip) can be dangerous since they can cause something called Cavernous Sinus Thrombosis (CVT). This is a very rare complication though, but when it occurs a potentially fatal one. So if possible I would recommend seeing your doctor and getting a 5 day course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin and Mupirocin cream for local application.

If you cannot see your doctor in the next day or so then start applying triple antibiotic ointment on the infected area (twice a day). If you develop any headache or blurring of vision though you should see a doctor immediately.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm wondering how rare a complication it is. What's the percentage?

Does it require the infection to be fairly serious, or can it occur with minor infections also?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also, what about polysporin for local application?

I am afraid there is no percentage to the best of my knowledge since all infections in the danger area are not reported. But it is very rare.

Major infections increase the risk but even a minor infection can cause the problem.

Triple antibiotic ointment contains neosporin, bacitracin and polymixin and is therefore better than polysoprin cream alone.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, but polysporin is safe inside the nose?

I read not to put it on mucous membranes and inside the nose only at a doctors suggestion, do not ingest (which would happen somewhat from it dripping down the throat, could it not?), etc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also, I'd say this infection is no worse than a small pimple inside my nose right now. I assume it's safe to wait and see for the time being, and perhaps go tomorrow or the next day if things are getting worse? So far, the infection is extremely minor and not getting worse.

That is a standard warning with all topical medications. The inside of the nose is lined by skin for about half an inch - this is the part that has hair and as far as ones index or middle finger can reach without really squeezing up the nose. The mucous membrane starts above this. So you can safely apple polysporin on the affected area.

Yes its okay if you see a Doctor if the infection gets worse but as I said just watch out for a headache or any visual problems. Regards.