Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have raised white bumps on my scrotum that continually itch.

I have raised white bumps on my scrotum that continually itch. When the bumps get big enough, you can squeeze them out. When they come out, they are hard and leave a small hole that burns when you put water or soap on it. After a few days, the white bump starts growing again and itches, sometimes alot. It started out as 3 bumps but now it seems to be spreading and I now have 6. What is this and how can I get rid of them.? I showed my Doctor but he said he didn't know what they were or what caused them. I don't think it's a question of personal hygene as I shower every day.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

It sounds like you have multiple sebaceous cysts on the scrotum. These cysts are harmless but persistent and are caused due to occlusion of skin glands called sebaceous glands.

The usual treatment for these is surgical excision and this can be done under local anaesthesia in about half an hour in a dermatologist's office. No cream - prescription or over the counter- will help. If the cyst are small then they are only removed for cosmetic reasons or if they keeps getting secondarily infected.

It is not known at this time why certain people develop the condition and therefore I am afraid there is nothing that can be done regarding preventing them. You might get a few more or many more or none in the future. Only time can tell.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by surgically removing them. I can squeeze the bumps out so are you saying they can be removed because they are deeper than just the lumps themselves?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Yes - even though you can squeeze out the contents the lining of the cyst (the sac) is still present within the skin and this will again secrete the contents and the cyst will reform. Once these sacs are removed surgically the cysts do not reform.