Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Experience:  Senior Consultant MBBS DNB (DVD)
25843817

What could the red bump on the head of my penis be from?

Customer Question

I have a single very small red bump on the head of my penis it just seems to have appeared it is how ever very large when I’m erect; that’s how I noticed it. I also seemed to have gotten a rash starting about a week ago on my shaft. I have been in a monogamous relationship for two weeks now. The last time I had sex with anyone different was on the 31st, then my girlfriend about two weeks ago and not since really. I thought the rash was an allergic reaction to the new medication I was put on for jock itch / athletes foot fluconazole it’s the name of the drug its used for yeast infections. I was worried about an STD for some time and have been tested every moth for the last month and always came back negative. The last time was on the 10th or so the bump is painless and appears to be very dry feeling. I’m really worried about this. I would have not noticed it except I looked at my penis when I was hard and the bump then was quite large. I’m hoping it’s not a wart and I’m feeling it may not be as its only on and all the pictures I have seen there were many and never on the head the bump it right above the crown dead center of the head facing me. What do you think this might be, an STD, or irritation or am I allergic to the medication?

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 4 years ago.

Expert: Dr. Pravin replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.
What are the tests for STD that have been done?

Customer:
Well urine mainly
I was not having any symptoms or bumps then, I got tested for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea. I then thought I was having discharge but they found nothing. I got tested a total of three times by different doctors and they have not found a thing. I then got my meds for athlete’s foot and what I believe was jock’s itch and I got put on a pill for yeast infections. The things about it is, is that two days later I for a horrible rash then just about two hours ago I noticed I have one single dry bump on my penis head.

skindoctor2000:
Red Bump on the head of penis can be due to syphilis, Human papilloma virus infection(warts) , donovanosis, cancroid. A simple urine test will not help differentiating the above bumps. You will need to see a Dermatologist or a specialist in STI to diagnose your condition. They will clinically examine you and rule out the STI and above conditions

Customer:
It’s very small and I would have not noticed the little red bump but when I’m hard its very large and not read anymore and very dry feeling.

skindoctor2000:
The rash may be due to the pill as you mentioned however it needs to be observed by the doctor to diagnose it.

Customer:
I see.
Well what do you think the odds are the only girl I have slept with this last month has been my new girlfriend and she tells me I’m only her second guy.

skindoctor2000:
It’s difficult for me to predict the odds of STD without seeing the lesion. You will need to meet the doctor as I suggested a Dermatologist or a STI specialist.

Expert: Dr. Pravin replied 4 years ago.

Now that I have seen your photos, it looks more of a candida infection, contact dermatitis. It will need to be treated with a local application of Candida and mixed with mild cortisone, if it’s irritable. Please do visit a dermatologist to rule out any other signs of STD’s.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would like a bit more info, if that’s okay.

Expert: Dr. Pravin replied 4 years ago.

Sure. I will answer all your further queries.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Now I was hoping I could get a bit more info on this I just googled it and it tells me yeast infection. I thought with yeast infection you have discharge also might I ask why it is that you think it is this and not an STD as much witch I’m hopping your right also would this explain the itching I have.

Expert: Dr. Pravin replied 4 years ago.

Candida infection of the glans presents as red papules, dryness and itchy. There is no discharge unless there is accompanied UTI or ulcer. It is transmitted over sexual contact. most commonly from female to male.