dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

fat deposits under the eyes. how do i get rid of them

Customer Question

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 5 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These are xanthelasmas.

dermdoc19 :

These are deposits of cholesterol. About half the people with them have an elevated cholesterol level.

dermdoc19 :

They can be removed with surgically, or with a CO2 laser. Electrosurgery, using an electric needle too. I often find success with 95% Trichloracetic acid ( NOT FOR HOME USE....I am very careful since these are around the eyes).

dermdoc19 :

Diet, to lower cholesterol is really not helpful although not a bad idea for general health.

dermdoc19 :

One problem with xanthelasma is they tend to recur.

dermdoc19 :

Happy to answer further questions.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 5 years ago.
I should also apprise you of a recent Danish study. Investigators studied 12, 735 people. At baseline 4.4% if the enrolled patients had xanthelesma. They measured lipids and to no surprise found levels of total cholesterol, low density lilpoproteins ( bad cholesterol) and triglycerides were higher in patients with xanthelasma and high density lipoproteins ( good cholesterol) were lower.
More significant to you was that the rare of heart attacks and strokes were significantly higher in the xanthelasma group.
This would behoove you to see your internist to take important preventative measures.
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 5 years ago.
This is such a recent study that it has not been published yet. So your doctor may not know about it. Let me know if you need more information regarding this study. Thank you.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 5 years ago.
If your physician would like to know the source, the above mentioned study will be coming out in the British Journal of Dermatology. If he/she does not have a subscription, Merck Medicus gives access to this journal.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 5 years ago.
Even though half the population with these have a normal cholesterol, in the other half, even if the cholesterol problem is corrected and reverts to normal, patients with xanthelasmas, will continue to develop them.